Splenda raising blood glucose?

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for fun I tested my blood sugar just before supper yesterday. I'd not eaten anything bar some porridge water (I deliberately add too much water to my microwave porridge and drink some of the excess; yes, I'm a sick puppy). The porridge contains 40g jumbo oats, 4g xylitol, 2g splenda and water. I had this about half an hour before supper and my reading was 8.4. To say I was surprised was an understatement! I tested again tonight but did a 'before' reading, which came out as 4.8. Drank the porridge water, left it half an hour. Tested again: 8.4.

I can only conclude that splenda is doing this. A quick flick though the interwebs suggests that this may be a problem for some people, but other studies conclude that it's not.

I'm confused! Does anyone else have a similar experience? If sucralose is out of bounds then many low-calorie sweet options are out of bounds :-(

Cheers

Jo

C

catherinecherub

Do you think that the starch from the porridge was the culprit as this would have leaked into the water?

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I think it would take an awful lot of Splenda to spike you 4mmols, it is probably the grain or the porridge that's too carby for you.

I use it in my tea with no ill effects .

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use myfitnesspal to see how many carbs in your brand of oats. I think you will be surprised. And that's what spiking your blood sugars. I have had to have Oats so simple for a few days as no other breakfast and it raised sugars to over 8.0 mmol. Also why are you testing 30 mins after eating. I leave it for 2 hrs after eating to test my readings.

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're probably right that it's the oats: I hadn't thought that they would release that much starch. BJ98: testing 30 mins after eating out of interest. Like to keep an eye on my first-phase insulin response, which seems to be on the way out.

Reactions: 2 people