Splenda

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I watched a programme a few months back about how granulated sugar is processed, this was pre diabetes diagnosis, I decided then to come off Granulated sugar and use Splendid instead as was recommended by the programme, is Splenda ok? Is it as bad as sugar ? Does anyone have any idea?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Splenda not splendid!,,, predictive txt!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some will tell you that it has the potential to increase your hunger levels. There's also a bunch of hippie talk about the long-term effects of splenda on your body.

Personally, I think it's all a bunch of BS. I have no hunger or bloodsugar issues with splenda or stevia and have no inclination to quit either one.

Reactions: 2 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your answer, I can't drink tea etc without a sweetener of some sort and was lead to believe that Splenda is the best alternative to sugar.
Shame it is quite expensive though!;)

Teddysmum

Tesco now do a version of Splenda (granules and mini-tablets) , which is much cheaper.
I tried Aldi's granules, but didn't like it as sometimes it was over sweet and other times had no sweetness at all. (Possibly a blending problem with the carrier?)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I use sucaryl (sucralose) and any other artificial sweeteners that are there. Some people are sensitive to sweeteners and get bad side effects, and feel better if they avoid them. I guess I'm lucky, they don't seem to cause me any issues. Extensive research on sweeteners has not found that they are dangerous at the usual levels of intake.