Split bolus's

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, at what point would you split your bolus for a high fat meal. I know you would do it for a takeaway etc, but would you do it for crisps, if the fat content was 10%. In other words at what fat percentage content would you split your bolus

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never had to split-dose for crisps.

I'm not sure at what point you have split-dose for high-fat meals as I never really count the fat & protein content in a meal and just concentrate on the carbs, however I know from experience (trial & error) that certain meals do need more insulin than others and a split-dose bolus is required, the best thing to do is take note which meals do require extended boluses and keep a record of them for future reference.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I don't split for a high fat meal just put on a temp basal of +30% at 2 AM to last 4 hours and that solves the problem. When talking about high fat I mean fish and chips which is a rare treat. Crisps I don't eat as don't snack between meals. :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
unfortunately like most things diabetes, its all about trial and error.........

I have always though and I am sure many will agree, that PIZZA is a perfect example where a split dose would help.........

so that might be a good place to go to see what the fat level actually is for a pizza, you can then use that as a reference point.....

;)

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Split bolus for a meal that is high in fat does make sense. As does the alternative of a TBR for those who have a pump. I agree though that the threshold is quite a high fat %. Pizza or proper fish and chips, not just crisps.

Reactions: 2 people

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Pizza is the killer for me, still haven't managed to maintain any sort of decent control for at least 12 hrs after eating them...