Split levimer doses

samantha13

Hi the past few days iv started to split my levimer. 10u at 8am 10u at 10pm. This morn however I stupidly slept in and didn't give my 8am dose until 11am :-0 iv now set an alarm on my phone so this won't happen again am just worried if I have done any damage???

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
samantha13 said:
Hi the past few days iv started to split my levimer. 10u at 8am 10u at 10pm. This morn however I stupidly slept in and didn't give my 8am dose until 11am :-0 iv now set an alarm on my phone so this won't happen again am just worried if I have done any damage???

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hello samantha13.
You have done the right thing to set your alarm on your phone to remind yourself of time to do your levemir .
No there wont be any damage by 3hours later , just keep testing and especially check your BG level
prior to your usual 10pm shot time tonight.
You can always do it an hour or two later , to compensate for the later shot this morning .

I have done this myself when was on levemir, slept in and missed my shot time.[a few times :oops: ]

There are some timesulin pen top 'time reminders' that can be bought [think they are about £20/£25]
They clip onto the top of your levemir pens and act as a date/time reminder as to when you last did
your injection.
These are ideal for people with poor memory or simply a bit/very forgetfull.

Hope this helps.

Anna.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Samantha13

I split my levemir as well and on a couple of occassions i have done it an hour or two later than normal, but its been fine as long as you do it theres no harm done.

tracey167

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
iainten said:
I do one shot of levimer at 0900 every morning. 60 units thou. Seems a serious amount of levemir. Any suggestions
Hi iainten,

The level of basal insulin (Levemir or Lantus) required will vary from person to person, and the fact that you are taking 60u does not mean that it is too much. Similarly the level of bolus (Humalog or Novorapid) required will depend on your insulin-carb ratio, and this is also different for each person and of course changes through the day. I take 12u Lantus each morning, but that will mean nothing to other diabetics since it is just the level that MY body requires to maintain good background BG control.

Have you done basal testing using the well established fasting method (wait atleast 4 hrs after last carb/bolus, then test every hour to check BG remains steady)? If your blood sugar drops by more than 1.7 mmol/l during the test period, the basal rate is probably too high. If it rises by more than 1.7 mmol/l, the rate may be too low.

If not how did you find you needed 60u Levemir?

This link explains about basal testing, and to convert BG readings from US to UK values just divide them by 18.

http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/p_basaltest.shtml

Jonty

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I split my Levemir, 16 units in morning at 16 at night, sometimes I can wake up at 3 and sometimes at 18... I can't work it out and I've been diabetic 11 years. There are people out there who worry if their reading is over 6 - I feel low at anything under 6... it is definitely each to their own when it comes to readings and doses! I would love to have better control but I just can't do it and I don't know why... I test about 6 times a day and it's always SO random I can't work it out. I can eat the exact same thing day in day out and have readings differing from 4 to in the 20s. It's crazy!