Splitting novarapid for fatty meals?

alf15

Went to see the dietitian to ask about gaining alittle weight as im 6ft and 12stone and would like to put back on a half stone or even 1 stone...i look to skinny for my height. She said eat more calories and fatty foods. I know any fatty foods make the digestion of the food alot slower and effects my b/s by going low and then high later.

If i where to have a meal of about 80g carbs and which has about 20g fat in it. I have been told to split my dosage of insulin 4 shots with meal and then 4 shots after the meal.

Is there any particular time to take the remaining 4 shots? i.e. 1 hr after meal, 1.5hrs after meal or 2hrs after meal?

Also up to how much total fat in the food before I split the dose, i.e. split after 10g or more, 15g or more, 20g or more etc?

If any one could clear this up for me would be great.

iHs

Hello Alf

If you want to put on more weight just eat a bit more carb and bolus more novorapid so that yr bg balances out. Its all a balancing act between insulin, carb and exercise that determines weight gain.

I'm not sure that your dietitian is correct on what she has told you to do but if you want to have a go at splitting your novorapid, then get Pumping Insulin by John Walsh where fat content of food and using insulin to deal with it is explained.

alf15

She orginally told me to increase my carbs, so I did that for a few months and now change. My carb intake is this daily:

Morning = 60-80g carbs - 8-10 shots novarapid
Lunch equals = 80g carbs - 8 shots
Dinner equals = 80g carbs - 8 shots
Snack at 10pm = 20-40g carbs - 2-4 shots

I exercise between 4/5 times a week, be it 5 aside football a few nights or weights.

I tired splitting my dose last nigth, but after 1.5hr I check my bs and I was 10b/s, I gave myself the remaining shots and 2 hrs late i was 6.1. So it worked, just went a little high 1.5hrs after meal. Might give my self the remaining shots at 1hr after start of meal and see how i get on, I was just checking if there was any rule of thumb with spilting dose/fat content.

Plus its handy aswell, if not for weight gain, sometimes I just dont have time to make a healthy meal and now by spilting my dose gives me a bit of flexibility.

iHs

Alf

The more exercise you do, the less weight you will put on from eating. At the moment you are still not eating enough carb to tip the balance with the exercise you are doing every week so try doing less exercise or eating a bit more carb.

Splitting your novorapid won't do anything for weight gain, it will only help you balance your bg levels out better. :)

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i wish i could "just eat more calories and carbs" to put on weight... im 6'2 and well but i only weigh 10.5st... 11 at my heaviest. I can eat practically anything and wont put on any weight...

Having said that... im healthy and fit so im not complainin!

splitting insulin will only help you control your bg's a little better... you could also try delaying your insulin... just be careful not to forget.... that's a bonus of a pump... you can do an extended bolus when you eat so you never forget to take the second shot...