Squeezing blood out and BG readings

Lilliepop

I always have to squeeze blood out to get a reading. I have read that it makes reading sometimes high. How can I get blood out without doing it? I have a accu check meter. Also I'm pre diabetic and after eating my blood can be between 6.6- 9 have read people with type 2 are not pleased if there BG goes over eight. Isn't that good?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told my by consultant and DSN on the day of diagnosis that I should squeeze it out. I'm a T1 but I don't see why that would make a difference!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wasnt told anything about this on diagnosis but have heard not to squeeze as ir can affect results. When I was diagnosed and hospital were doing readings they used to squeeze it like a ******. As long as you've washed hands and got a decent sample should be an accurate reading.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi, squeezing can apparently cause a reading to be high. Run your finger under hot water first and then try, the blood should run more freely

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
diadeb said:
Hi, squeezing can apparently cause a reading to be high. Run your finger under hot water first and then try, the blood should run more freely

How can it make it high? Surely the BG is the same regardless!!

My boiler is useless and getting hot water takes 10 minutes (it's sad but I'm not even kidding) so I always wash my hands first but it's in cold water! My blood gushes out anyway even on the lowest setting, but I genuinely don't understand why it would change if squeezed.

I'm tempted to experiment now....

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not yet, I will next time I test!

Probably let it come out normally first and test, then squeeze and test from the same point. See if there's any difference

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i will to but i just made cup cakes and had to lick the spoon from the buttercream frosting and the silly thing kept falling back in the bowl and needed licking over and over so probly not a good time to do it :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
i will to but i just made cup cakes and had to lick the spoon from the buttercream frosting and the silly thing kept falling back in the bowl and needed licking over and over so probly not a good time to do it :)

I'm currently having a similar incident with some honey roast peanuts...

Beauty of my honeymoon period is give it a few hours and you'd never know ;)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
or go for a ten mile run first, that normally has the blood dripping from my fingers. Gonna be fun on Friday, 70 mile race, testing three times every 10-mile lap.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
If I went for 10 mile run they'd have to put blood in not me take it out :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Squeezing gave me a reading 0.4 LOWER than not squeezed.

Interested in what anyone else comes up with!

Lilliepop

Blood taken two hours after eating was with squeezing 8.6 then again with running under hot water 8.1 still don't know what to think,

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lilliepop said:
Blood taken two hours after eating was with squeezing 8.6 then again with running under hot water 8.1 still don't know what to think,

Typical our results are totally different!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
all in the name of science.... 5.7 squeezing six pricks and burnt fingers 5.4 but it took 5 minutes to get enough out of a non squeezed whole so maybee it went down lol

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
all in the name of science.... 5.7 squeezing six pricks and burnt fingers 5.4 but it took 5 minutes to get enough out of a non squeezed whole so maybee it went down lol

So all in all, the differences were in the region of 0.3 - 0.5

Not exactly huge