SR Metformin and diarrhoea

kate_88

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some advice as I was prescribed the lowest dose of metformin last year and had horrible side effects of flatulence, bad stomach pain, bloating and the most horrible - diarrhoea. I carried on with taking it for 3/4 weeks, going down to one 500mg tablet every other day, then every two days until the side effects really affected my work like and I stopped taking them.
After begging my GP several times, I was prescribed with the slow release version 2x 500mg per day). It was ok for two days and then I started to experience the same side effects with the original metformin. Instead of stopping again, as I really wanted this to work, with the doctors advice, I adjusted the dosage but the same effects were happening and I stopped

I am not doing too well with the low carb diet as I am currently undergoing a period of high anxiety and depression (and comfort eating is linked) and my BG is high. I started taking the SR again this morning with breakfast (500mg) and the diarrhoea has returned.

Has anyone experienced similar? If so, what did you do? Persevere with the SR, and just deal with bad diarrhoea everyday? Or did you start taking something else? I have spoken to a consultant about starting the GLP1 injection but that won't happen until June. Having bad cramps, and diahorrea is really affecting my day to day life as my office only had 1 toilet per floor!

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gi distress the whole time, 500mg 2X daily.Was able to wean off in 6 weeks,thank goodness.No meds, HFLC has worked for me.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same issues with Metformin and Metformin SR. I was on 500 twice a day. I persevered for about 6 weeks on each type. I returned to the doctor's doctors and told her that it was affecting my work, I had to have time off it was so bad. I was put on to Gliclazide and since have been put on to Dapaglaflozin.
I have found that low carb is working for me and hope that when I have my next HbA1c I might be able to ditch the pills.

I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE- EMBARRASSING ACCIDENTS after breakfast on the way to work made worse by my perinaeum being damaged in childbirth so I have less control. After ten years of Metformin I was sent to St Thomas's to try Victoza (Liraglutide) which has helped wonderfully and kept me off insulin which is important for things like driving and travel insurance over 70. I still have to be careful but down to one 500g Metformin has helped enormously.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some advice as I was prescribed the lowest dose of metformin last year and had horrible side effects of flatulence, bad stomach pain, bloating and the most horrible - diarrhoea. I carried on with taking it for 3/4 weeks, going down to one 500mg tablet every other day, then every two days until the side effects really affected my work like and I stopped taking them.
After begging my GP several times, I was prescribed with the slow release version 2x 500mg per day). It was ok for two days and then I started to experience the same side effects with the original metformin. Instead of stopping again, as I really wanted this to work, with the doctors advice, I adjusted the dosage but the same effects were happening and I stopped

I am not doing too well with the low carb diet as I am currently undergoing a period of high anxiety and depression (and comfort eating is linked) and my BG is high. I started taking the SR again this morning with breakfast (500mg) and the diarrhoea has returned.

Has anyone experienced similar? If so, what did you do? Persevere with the SR, and just deal with bad diarrhoea everyday? Or did you start taking something else? I have spoken to a consultant about starting the GLP1 injection but that won't happen until June. Having bad cramps, and diahorrea is really affecting my day to day life as my office only had 1 toilet per floor!
I ditched the pills and persevered with an ultra low carb diet.
Far more effective.