1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stage 3 kidney disease

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by fortuna, Mar 3, 2010.

1. fortuna

fortuna · Member

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 30 years and have just returned to live in the Uk. This followed the totally unexpected death of my partner of 16 years from a heart attack on New Year's Day. Since then I have had to pack up our apartmen(rented) in Spain and move in with my daughter and her family whilst I hope for some council housing of some sort.
    I am now under a GP here in England and find I have 3rd stage kidney disease. Does anyone know if there is a diet to help with the diabetes and the kidney problem. The stress of all this makes me very forgetful and confused,
    fortuna

2. Katharine

Katharine · Well-Known Member

3. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic link Katherine; thank you. That'll be me stopping the iron supplements then... :shock:

I've had a look on wikipedia and polyphenols (which are a key part of the study and by extension something we should be consuming) are found in the following; berries, tea, beer, grapes/wine, olive oil, chocolate/cocoa, coffee, walnuts, peanuts, borojo, pomegranates, popcorn, yerba mate, and other fruits and vegetables.

I'm really pleased to see that sentence "These trends are consistent with the notion that excess CHO intake is one key factor in raising incidence of diabetic renal failure" - we seem to have that argument a lot on here that protein is main culprit in kidney problems so it's good to see the other view being so convincingly expressed.

Dillinger

4. Katharine

Katharine · Well-Known Member

The polyphenol bit is nice to see as well! (Tea, wine, olive oil, cocoa, peanuts are all staples of mine).

5. fortuna

fortuna · Member

Thank you for your replies. But the the way my mind is at the moment it is all too medical/scientific for my poor old brain to sort.
    I would like a list of good and bad foods to help both problems. Any suggestions please?
    Fortuna

6. janabelle

janabelle · Well-Known Member

Hi Fortuna
    I''m not surprised you're feeling overwhelmed, you've clearly been through a lot in recent months.
    Not sure about the diet, but there's been some research carried out at Warwick University showing beneficial effects of Vitamin B1 (thiamine), on kidney disease. I don't have kidney problems, but as I've been type-1 for 21 years take it as a precautionary measure. It's water soluble so can't do any harm. I take Holland & Barret's 100mg tablets.
    Take care
    Jus

7. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Fortuna,

I'm sorry about that - your question got drowned out by the science there...

What I would suggest and this is what Katherine's study seemed to agree with is investigate a low carbohydrate diet; i.e. stop eating potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, grains and all derivatives. Have a look on the low-carb section for more details.

In terms of medication if you are not on Lisinopril or similar you should ask your GP to think about that and prescribe it for you; there is good evidence that it provides good protection for kidney function (as well as helping to lower your blood pressure).

I would also suggest vitamin B1 (thiamine) as suggested by Janabelle plus vitamin D3, and I'd go for the best quality that you can find/afford in both.

Your kidney function is estimated when you have blood tests done by a reading called the EGFR which stands for Estimated Globular Filtration Rate - if you search for that you'll find quite a lot of information, Stage 3 may sound bad, but it's not the end of the line by any stretch of the imagination. The complications of diabetes do not have to be progressive; if you can sort out your blood sugars you will be able to prevent further damage being done and who knows may be able to improve your situation; many people on here find that that is not just a pipe dream but the reality of good control.

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time of it.

All the best

Dillinger

8. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

Fortuna,

I had stage 3 CKD thrown at me last year with an eGFR of just 40. Very scary, but by really tightening up on blood glucose and pressure control I'm heading out of the danger zone, with the most recent eGFR reading of 52. Still not great maybe, but a lot better than 40 and certainly heading in the right direction. All done without major diet restriction, so it is possible to do.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook