Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2013 by The ADA

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I read the first sentence & felt some hope ~

"Diabetes mellitus is a chronic illness that requires continuing medical care and ongoing patient self-management
education and support to prevent acute complications and to reduce the risk of long-term complications."

Isn't this a contradiction to what we are usually told by hcps? i.e. "Diabetes is a progressive disease" implying that we WILL all get complications eventually.

Is this a sign that "they" are changing their stance? Perhaps taking notice that some diabetics ARE controlling it better, (like people on here) by changing their diet (however they do it, please don't let us get into another lchf fight)!

I feel this is real progress

Comments?

Smartie xx

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think "reducing the risk of complications" doesn't mean they go away. I still am a believer in that diabetes is progressive, speed of which is down to our control and a bit of luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Douglas,
Whilst you're doing your 'bedtime' reading you might like to look at the recent Canadian Gudelines.
This link is to the summary but there is a very detailed chapter describing the evidence behind the guidelines (this chapter is just on Nutritional therapy, there is another on weight management)
http://guidelines.diabetes.ca/Browse/Chapter11
And just to add to it, you might like the Swedish evidence summary and guidelines.
The Evidence summary is in English so easy to read. The guidelines are translated and rather mangled by google.
http://www.sbu.se/upload/Publikationer/Content1/1/mat_diabetes_eng_smf_110517.pdf
http://translate.google.com/transla...rtikelkatalog/Attachments/18471/2011-11-7.pdf
(actually it's useful to put them in one place, then I won't have to search for them again)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I think "reducing the risk of complications" doesn't mean they go away. I still am a believer in that diabetes is progressive, speed of which is down to our control and a bit of luck.

Yes, If the progression due to D is reduced to almost negligible compared to that due to "Old Age" then we are on to a winner!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, If the progression due to D is reduced to almost negligible compared to that due to "Old Age" then we are on to a winner!

The paper still has something of the self fullfilling prophecy about it:

"Recommendations
Lowering A1C to below or around 7%
Providers might reasonably suggest more stringent A1C goals (such as 6.5%)
Less stringent A1C goals (such as 8%)"
The Belfast Study showed that decreasing "fasting blood glucose levels from 10.4 to 7.0 mmol/L but that this abnormal level presaged the all-too-familiar deterioration of control."
Why not encourage as many people as possible to get into the normal sub 6.0 range? There are a fair few on this forum who show that it is possible. Aim to be normal.

Reactions: 4 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Douglas,
Whilst you're doing your 'bedtime' reading you might like to look at the recent Canadian Gudelines.
This link is to the summary but there is a very detailed chapter describing the evidence behind the guidelines (this chapter is just on Nutritional therapy, there is another on weight management)
http://guidelines.diabetes.ca/Browse/Chapter11

It is recommended that the percentage of total daily energy from CHO should be no less than 45% to prevent high intakes of fat, as this is associated with reduced risk of chronic disease for adults (32). If CHO is derived from low glycemic index (GI) and high-fibre foods, it may contribute up to 60% of total energy, with improvements in glycemic and lipid control in adults with type 2 diabetes (34)

If I were to stick to those recommendations it would be a fast track to progression and insulin, my carb intake on 2500 cals would range from 280 to 375g, absolute nonsense to think a type 2 can achieve good blood sugar levels with such a high carb intake it would suggest the evidence behind the guidelines is seriously flawed.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
A good thing in the 2014 doc is that it explicitly states the UK ACCORD finding that said going under an hba1c of 7% increased rusks were proven wrong and that it's fine to aim for lower targets. That 7% number still gets trotted out by some gps ...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a superb document; a breath of fresh air. I wonder if anyone in DUK or the NHS will read it and/or take anything on board?

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nah,
it's not a low carb debate.
It's for comments on the full text, not one sentence, if you want to comment.
Or then again, it's for your own use, to ignore or not as you see fit.

But I think we've done low carb arguments to death recently.

And just were did I mention low carb in my last comment? it was merely highlighting the guidelines in the link from phoenix, the only mention was in my original reply "Thank for posting this, for some reason my post containing the link was deleted from the Diabetes UK & reduced carb thread"

Scardoc

After a quick scan.......which is not enough and I will read this properly when I can..........and going back to a couple of earlier comments it's worth noting that:

The <6.5% target for A1C has an evidence level of C which is "Supporting evidence from poorly controlled or uncontrolled studies" and states "if this can be achieved without significant hypoglycemia".

Chronic vs progressive: I don't see a great shift or difference here. I think both apply, there's no implication for me that I will get complications by the use of progressive. My ability to produce insulin will get progressively worse as (and has) time moves on. It's most definitely a chronic condition as I think it's safe to assume it will last a long time!!