Started insulin_week 1

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Well I have finally had to relent and start insulin. Thankfully I have a really nice community diabetes nurse who seem that she actually cares. I have been on Novomix 30 for a week now, At the minute having 17 units before breakfast and another 17 units before dinner.

My BS have started to come down. Fasting was 22.7 last Wednesday, today it was 15. And I have seen a couple of readings less than 10. I have been sleeping all night through which is great. Today I had the first followup appointment with the DSN. Planned to start having 18 units in the morning and 20 at night as my BG do fall down quite a bit during the day - its the fasting one which is the problem.

The one thing I am NOT happy about is that i put on 4lbs this week. I have not binged this week and restricted carbs alot ( i was binging nearly every day before so this has not been easy). Been going for a walk at lunchtime and doing some exercises after dinner. I am trying not to get upset about the weight gain - thinking that for now my health is the most important but i cannot afford to put on more weight. - especially as i am 8 months away from my wedding.

DSN is referring me for a DESMOND course and she assured me that they advocate low carb (WOW) and if weight gain continues she will refer me to hospital to maybe go back on Byetta or start Victoza

so.....watch this space :) :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Don't worry too much about the weight gain if you just watch what you're eating and burn more calories exercising. I now walk as much as I can and now my weight has levelled put to what is was before I started insulin.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are gaining weight then I suspect you need to further reduce your carbs and probably the insulin a bit to avoid hypos.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Claymic I have the same problem, on insulin for 9 or so weeks, followed low carb, for What I wasn't eating it should have dropped off me, I reckon I was storing water and putting on at least 1 lb a week maybe more. I'm on the 4 injections a day regime, long acting at night, count carbs for short acting during the day usually between 8-10u a day.

I must be really and truly insulin resistant. Finally enough was enough and I asked the nurse what to do, couple off option one of which was victoza, I'm glad I decided to try it, side effects ive had 3 short bouts of nausea and that's it. My long acting I've reduced to 19 and yesterday only had 5u of short acting.

Nurse said it takes a while t o settle with insulin, but I can't afford to wait and put more weight on. It might be a bit too early for you to go on it yet, but victoza has properly stabilised my bg.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your body will start working properly with the insulin
Cut carbs for weight control
More carbs more weight
Less carbs less weight