Started pumping today!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI All

The big day at last. I'm now pumping Humalog 0.35 units/hour and have done my first meal bolous through my pretty purple Veo :) :)

Starting with a single basal rate 24/7 and basal/bolus proportion of 50/50, which is nothing like my recent MDI regime, so expecting plenty of adjustments in the next few weeks.

iHs

Hi

It's hard for anyone to know initially whether the basal rate is correct or the carb ratios. Just make sure tonight when you go to bed that you get up and test bg about 1.30, 3.30 and 5.30am. I had to rapidly reduce my basal from midnight to 4am the following night as I was going hypo during those hours even with drinking some lucozade to treat them.

It will take about 2 days for Levemir to clear out so don't be surprised if you find yourself altering some of your basal rates more often. Also, weather temp can really influence bg levels.

Good luck :D

WILCOMAN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck it took me a few weeks to get sorted but worth it in the end.

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with everything, like it's been said, just ensure you check bg levels more actively, especially during the night! :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Dragonflye and iHs

The DSN suggested I test once during the night, but with my talent for sleeping thru hypos I'd have tested at least once even if it wasn't mentioned. I've been testing anytime I wake in the night as well as after Levemir changes for the past few years. That's assuming I sleep anyway! Having said that, the last few months I've needed double Levemir at night compared to the day, so the flat rate is playing safe. She did say ratios, basal/bolus split, DP etc often change completely going onto a pump though, hence the single basal with bolus of 1u/10 carbs regardless of what went before.

Good point about the weather, quite a few hypos the last few days. Would've cut the Levemir today if still on it, but had forgotten the temperature's gone up.

It'll take time, but at least I'm well used to carb counting and have done at least 4-5 tests daily for the last 4 yrs. Wouldn't like to be starting all that at the same time.

Love the colour, too :D

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey LittleSue hope you got on ok last night :) i was originally put on 1u/10carbs too :)

I was torn between the pink or purple... pink won though :D

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dragonflye said:
Hey LittleSue hope you got on ok last night :) i was originally put on 1u/10carbs too :)

I was torn between the pink or purple... pink won though :D

Hiya

Last night was fine except I didn't really sleep til after my 2am test. (BS was good.) Lay there thinking about names for my pump to play on the purple colour, as well as work issues. Then I dreamed of buying a Frio pump wallet, well it was supposed to be that but nothing like the pictures in the brochure the DSN gave me yesterday. It was purple outside with pink lining, specially for us colour co-ordinated girls :lol:

Will post readings etc on a new thread.