Started reducing today

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
Well I started reducing my carbs today
Breakie : 2 plums
Dinner : 2 big kippers with butter, toms, celery ,cucumber & 1 small slice of bread, glass of diet coke
Snack : a small piece of cheese & pickle
Supper : :evil: 1 slice of toast, 4 table spoons of baked beans

Loads of cups of tea with milk

I know ...its not great, but its muchly reduced from my normal diet. I am just a bit worried about reducing too much as i would need to cut my insulin too quick

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Chez,

It sounds as if you're definitely headed in the right direction there! I think you're absolutely right to make the changes slowly as an insulin user and it's clear you understand the importance of reducing doses in small stages. Hopefully you'll find the diet changes much easier to adapt to if they are more gradual.
I think some have found the changes difficult if they took a 'year zero' approach and dropped all the sugars and starches in one go. Your approach should be much more likely to succeed.

Good luck with it,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi chez. Sounds like you are on the right path. Watch out for those baked beans though. I hope you had the low sugar ones. they are a bit bland, but improve with a dash of brown sauce.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
hanadr said:
Watch out for those baked beans though. I hope you had the low sugar ones. they are a bit bland, but improve with a dash of brown sauce.

Thats an understatement, they are awfull, I had my first the other day, not again thanks I can find an alternative for them.

Katharine

Why the funny wee angry cat face :evil: at the one slice of toast and baked beans?

You have made a really good start.

Perhaps a bit more protein at the meal before your bedtime snack would fill you up a bit more? :idea:

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
Katharine said:
Why the funny wee angry cat face :evil: at the one slice of toast and baked beans?

You have made a really good start.

Perhaps a bit more protein at the meal before your bedtime snack would fill you up a bit more? :idea:

I am bad ... although i believe 100% that low carbs gets you better results, i still cant get it into my head that my diet and insulin regime wont have be too tight to get the BS's perfect, i hate being below 6, it makes me feel totally restricted in my daily life and scared to death of hypos. In my screwed up head there is a very fat line between perfect BS's and quality of life. For 28 years I have always had HBa1c 's of about 9 and have been able to do whatever the hell i wanted and totally enjoyed the ride. Now im suffering for that, but im not sure i would change anything.

Food :
My downfall is after 6pm, it wouldnt bother me if i didnt have anything to eat before then, after then i tend to eat all night. Not because im particularly hungry and it doesnt seam to matter if i have had a good breakfast and dinner , i just dont have the will power to stay outa the fridge.
I have been having lots of hypos followed by high's, but have to remember i have only just changed my insulin regime and type and i'm fighting an ongoing foot infection.
I wont give up, at least i am thinking a lot more about what i eat, even if i aint getting it right.

Oh and i found the macadamia nuts in my village co-op !!! they come with dried cranberries and keep me away from the toast lol.

Katharine

Chez,

If you live alone I don't think the next bit of advice will help.

But, I understand that certain types of shops sell handcuffs.

Now, these are used for certain nocturnal activities. Usually two people or more are involved.

Now, if you could get a trusted friend to handcuff your hands behind your back after your evening meal, would it do the trick?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Whatever do you mean by nocturnal activities Katharine :eek: :eek: :eek:

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Ah ha .......... now you have my attention