Starting Insulin Therapy Thursday

AngelaH

I am scared. Type 2 - almost 59 years old - severe sleep apnoea. Have been taking Gliclazide for approx 12 months and have been on 80mg twice a day with food for the last 4 months.

I am scared because i live in Holland. Whlst the medical professionals do speak English - it is not always very good, and i speak little Dutch. I am scared that things will not be translated correctly - for instance in Dutch when counting rather than saying fifty six they would say six and fifty and they often get numbers back to front - I tell then my date of birth is 1956 and it ends up being written as 1965.

I would appreciate any help at all that i can get on this site to understand exactly what is happening - what i need to do and not to do.

I will come back later in the week to let you know how the appointment goes and what i have been given and perhaps come kind soul can answer any questions i then have.

Is there anything i should be asking them when i go on Thursday ? I am terrified of needles - when giving blood i turn away and i tend to hold my breath until it is over - is that going to be an insurmountable issue? I work shifts, I have to drive to work, is that going to be allowed? :(

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Angela. I can't offer much help but I am in a similar situation . I'm only 2 and half years in, swapping tonight from gliclazide X 4 daily to long and short acting insulin. Not sure if the needles and rules etc are the same over where.you are but here the needles are tiny. The needles I was prescribed today are 6mm but in know you can get various sizes!! Also, with regards to driving, I've just been told to inform DVLA and my insurance company. You're not supposed to drive if you're under 5 so need to test before driving.

Like I said I can't offer much help but hope this has helped a little.