starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all im starting the newcastle diet on 2nd jan and will be posting hopefully on a daily basis.
I will be posting weight etc and regular updates.
Went to Tesco yesterday and they are selling slimfast at half price so its actually cheaper than tescos own brand, so i bought 12 tubs lol
Wish me luck and Im looking to lose a fair amount of weight if possible and get my diabetes under proper control.
Anyone who has been on it and wants to give me tips fell free, actually looking forward to it, takes the thinking out of meal making too.
:D

dbfisher

Hi Geordie.

Good luck on the diet.

I did the diet just a few months before Christmas with excellent results. Can't say its a cure. However I am still within the normal weight range for my age/height. The first time since I left school, and I'm 58. Sugar control has certainly become much, much easier. Chrismas festivities etc has put me back a little bit on sugars. Yes it does take the thinking out of meal making somewhat but do be adventurous with the vegetable part. Remember it is an 800 cal diet and not 600 cals as it keeps being reported. An important 200 cals are vegetables from the list. The other important thing to remember is that your tastes will change (for the better) over the course of the diet as your body gets used to what you are consuming. A lot of diabetic medication (and blood pressure medication) affect your taste buds as well. Do monitor your blood pressure as well as sugars, as you may find that will drop a bit as well if you are on blood pressure medication. The first sugar reading in the morning is the important one and the main guide. The first 4/5 days of the diet is the time when the side effects appear but I found that quite mild. Hunger Wasn't the issue. Food smells affect you a lot initially and other people around you can be a nuisance. It does take the 8 weeks. I found it was only the 7th/8th week when things started being rock solid stable so don't be disheartened by some high readings. It has certainly changed my life. It's improved things far more than I ever expected. The diet was no where near as hard as I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it a great deal and would have no hesitation of doing it again should the need arise but I do not expect to have to do it again. Hope you have the same experience with it. Good luck.

Brian.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this diet and that it has worked for them for a reasonable period after they stopped it. I have no doubt that it works in that you will loose weight but what happens after you stop? I haven't seen any of the original triers here posting about it recently.

Anyone?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I would be interested too Sid.

To be honest, I did follow many of the individual threads of those on these types of diet but became quite confused as to what the anticipated outcome actually was! :eh:

Some seemed to alter the original diet slightly (in which case I would have thought that would have cancelled it out or maybe strict adherence wasn't necessary)..I dunno!

If reversal was the aim, I would like to know if those that were on meds before the start are now off them and for how long they have managed this, also what type of diet they are on now ie calorie wise and what kind of bg numbers they are getting.

Just to be clear, I am of the "different strokes for different folks" school of thought and firmly believe that whatever works for you is the right way to go.
However, it would be much more helpful for those considering trying this diet and those who are just interested in the outcomes to have some feedback. I am particularly interested in the reversal of diabetes theory in relation to this diet and whether it has acheived that goal for those that tried it.

I think it's safe to say that I am interested to hear from anyone maybe two to six months down the line from the finishing point..how are you getting on now?

Would love to hear the news!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I wouldn't mind having a look at this Newcastle diet too.

Where can I get a copy of the diet plan?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Since my last post above I've been doing some research using Google and found this:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/docu ... ecipes.pdf

Seems fairly straightforward to follow. Is this the diet sheet that others on this forum are using, or are there other versions available?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Probably not Ardbeg as Optifast is not available in this country, see the other threads abouty the diet all the info is there.

Use the search window and search for newcastle, 800 calories or 600 calories :thumbup:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
lancaster100 said:
Does anyone know how you get onto any new trial using this dietary plan. Is there a registration process?? Any help would be helpful

I think the trail is over and the results are published. If you want to do it just follw the diet sheet (see my link above) and as Sid says, look at the various previous posts from forum users who have already tried it. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page to see several other threads on the same topic.

Personally, I will be giving this a try in Jan/Feb as I usually pack in the alcohol for the month of January anyway, so an 8 week booze free low calorie eating regime at that time of year makes sense to me. :p

Best to speak to your GP before you embark on this course of action!

pru

I did this diet in August 2011 and found that it didn't cure the type 2 diabetes but it did reduce my glucose level to the extent that the doctor said she was quite happy for me to come off the meds (3 -500mg metformin a day) which I think is a definate result. I used the Atkins shakes morning and evening (the ones you make up yourself - they were the ones with the lowest sugar content I could find) and a meal of veg for lunch. Before the diet I was 11 stone and going upward with no way I could find to lose any (I am basically an 8/9 stone build) after the 8 weeks I was back to 9 stone. I haven't plucked up the courage to test myself since the Christmas bash but am having the full testing procedure done again at the end of Jan, and keeping my fingers crossed.

pru

Having read the posts again I am amazed at how many people are having/going to have the Slimfast shakes - have you seen how much sugar is in them? :shock: :eek:

antmos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am starting on the 1st Jan and I am on insulin, which I have been told to halve as soon as I start the diet. Is there anyone else out there that has done or is doing this diet that takes insulin daily? I am very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
pru said:
Having read the posts again I am amazed at how many people are having/going to have the Slimfast shakes - have you seen how much sugar is in them? :shock: :eek:

I think a lot of people used the optislim shakes. The nutritional profile was supposed to be similar to the optifast shake used in the original trial. (in terms of vitamins, minerals, protein, fat and carb).
Optifast has
Protein (g) 14
Carbohydrate (g) 20
Fat (g) 3
I'm sure there is the whole nutritional breakdown back in one of the threads somewhere, or a link to it

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
thanks for all the comments guys, im using slimfast as its only one thats easy to find, i also exercise a lot tbh, cycle to work, play rugby and am at gym 4/5 times a week so im hoping the added sugar in slimfast wont be too much of a problem

dbfisher

pru said:

The main point of the diet is to shock the body into removing fat quickly and persistently from places in the body where it causes/increases the effect of the diabetes and is normally difficult to remove such as in the pancreas and liver. The reason for the diet shakes is that they also have all the added nutrients that the body needs. Any very low calorie diet should work but others diets give a much higher risk of nutrient defficiency. Dont forget the plan is an 800 cal diet not 600. You are required to eat another 200 calories per day from a list of non starchy vegetables for the fibre. It helps prevent constipation and helps with nutrients. Optifast is quoted but it is only available by prescription in the UK. Most of the slimfast/meal replacement shakes are fairly similar in nutrients and calories. Some supermarkets do their own brands. I found the best one for me was the 'ASDA Measure Up' powdered shakes as it was made up with water and it didn't taste sweet and sickly like the others. Also you have to ensure you get plenty of fluids as well in the day and if you mix up the Measure Up with double the quantity of water quoted in the directions. It still tasted excellent (better in my view) and I found it much easier to maintain my daily fluid intake. The diet appeared horrendous at first and I was highly sceptical however I found it fairly simple and I actually enjoyed it.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
right here we go stats are as follows as of 0900 2/1/12

Weight:- 16stone 9lbs
FBG:- 13.4 (high as ive been off my metformin for a week and had xmas excesses, but this is the point of this diet to see if it will bring it down)

I will post hopefully on a daily basis and keep you informed, wish me luck

C

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I am starting the Newcastle diet this week - my doctor is ringing me on the 4th of January so I am going to run it past him first, but I will be starting it the next day as I have already bought the shakes! I don't expect this diet will "cure" my diabetes as my doctor has recently told me I am not actually type 2, but am a type 1.5.... He has said that my body is attacking my pancreas and it will eventually pack up all together :(

I normally cook for the family, but my hubby is going to cook for the next eight weeks so I don't have to go near the kitchen and I will stay out of the dining room whilst they are eating. Hopefully this will help...

I just thought I would post how I am doing on here in the hope that it will help me stick to it, and hopefully reading about other people's results will help too.

I have been low carbing for about six weeks and exercising at the gym 3 times a week and lost about a stone in weight - does anyone know if is it still ok to exercise on such a low calorie diet?

mscomms

Hi All, I have been to see my GP and am ready to go as soon as I have had a blood test done (The standard 3 month one) my gp has given me two test scripts one before starting the other for after so we can see the results.

Has anyone got a good / bad list for the vegetables as the diet sheet seems a bit contradictory with having to avoid root vegetables and fruits but having carrot and tomato soups in the recipes. :?

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all first day underway, bg are high but thats to be expected i suppose, must admit feel cold tonight and not particularly hungry but stomach is rumbling. Drank the two litres of water as directed and never been off the toilet lol. Im not going to post my levels every day but gonna use this a bit of a diary. I have to be honest and say i cant wait to see what the results are and what i look and feel like after the eight weeks, then its a matter of continuing it on for the rest of my life. Oh i made the onion soup tonight too mmmmmm lovely lol, speak soon

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
first night over, good sleep but strange dream lol. Not up for toilet once which is an achievement in itself. Just took fbg 11.5, which is down from yesterday mornings readings already.
Gym tonight now the hard work starts, if this is as hard as it gets (and im sure its not lol) then i should be fine. Dont go into this thinking its a chore think of it as the next step in getting sorted and back to enjoying life. laters peeps