Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So, OTC Statin treatment is not off the table. No discussion on the veracity of studies citing benefits etc etc just how to get 'those who most need treatment' onto the drugs.
And it is not clear (still) who would pay for the drugs, if it is OTC then the patient pays which they say 'may' be a sticking point.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently to boost take up. Oh joy.

Hi,

Do you have a link or program name on "catch up?"

I've googled the relevant & all I get is old programs aired from 2014 & 2007?

Lol, the last three years I've had the stark unfounded, blind "prophesies" from HCPs if I don't have them on my repeat prepaid script. Still not conviced to add them to the list.

So, OTC Statin treatment is not off the table. No discussion on the veracity of studies citing benefits etc etc just how to get 'those who most need treatment' onto the drugs.
And it is not clear (still) who would pay for the drugs, if it is OTC then the patient pays which they say 'may' be a sticking point.

In the case of a T1 of a "certain age" like me? The "tax payer." Like me! ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,

Do you have a link or program name on "catch up?"

I've googled the relevant & all I get is old programs aired from 2014 & 2007?

Lol, the last three years I've had the stark unfounded, blind "prophesies" from HCPs if I don't have them on my repeat prepaid script. Still not conviced to add them to the list.

In the case of a T1 of a "certain age" like me? The "tax payer." Like me! ;)
Hope this link works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009387

Sounds like they just might not have thought it all through yet. Whadya think? :(

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/918709?src=wnl_tpal_190923_mscpedu&impID=2104482
These are educational videos on the new US lipid lowering guidelines n which the level of LDL to be achieved has been lowered using statins or newer drug in case 'statins are not tolerated' . I assume this new one is not off patent and so represents a new profit line for its' maker alongside the volume sales of statins to people who don't need them. I don't mind drug companies making profits but the drugs need to prevent cvd and cvd primary events before they start adding them to the water supply.

M

Member496333

I give up. Capitalism will win. Humans are doomed. The best we can hope for is a moon-sized meteor strike to turn Earth into a molten fireball and reset evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If these are otc this is not as bad as it seems, as one would have to actively choose to take them. If they were in the water supply then for me this would be a legally challengable action.

It is simple but hard with the otc move - somehow on a shoestring budget "we" need to have the views of Aseem Malhotra front and centre, as a counter balance to statins becoming sweets.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If these are otc this is not as bad as it seems, as one would have to actively choose to take them. If they were in the water supply then for me this would be a legally challengable action.

It is simple but hard with the otc move - somehow on a shoestring budget "we" need to have the views of Aseem Malhotra front and centre, as a counter balance to statins becoming sweets.

In the water supply?, blimey Mbaker, don't go giving them ideas!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It's madness !

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If they put it in the water supply then I am stuffed. So far, the only good thing about MG is that they had to stop offering me statins.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What annoys is that in the programme they mention that too many people give up taking the drugs or will not take them at all. They do not discuss why this is, completely ignore the fact that these drugs cause side effects and that a growing number of people have read up and make their own decision whether to start this 'treatment'. The NHS has, it seems, decided that patient choice is neither here not there.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If they put it in the water supply then I am stuffed.

There seems to have been a push in the U.S. for statins in the water supply which was met with heavy resistance from those that have done the research showing harmful side effects on those without high cholesterol or heart problems.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In the water supply?, blimey Mbaker, don't go giving them ideas!
They already put fluoride in the water so they don't need to be given ideas about blanket dosing a population with harmful substances.

This is why I drink bottled water and am thinking of investing in a reverse osmosis filtration system it's the only way to get these substances out of the water.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They already put fluoride in the water so they don't need to be given ideas about blanket dosing a population with harmful substances.

This is why I drink bottled water and am thinking of investing in a reverse osmosis filtration system it's the only way to get these substances out of the water.
Filtered rainwater? We get enough and they do it in regional Australia all the time. Mind you they also the space for huge tanks in the garden

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What worries me is not the relative risk of taking them at a sensible dose but if you take too many and have a total cholesterol level below 2 or whatever you will be doing real damage. Someone posted recently who said their total was 2.1 or something and was pleased at that low level after taking statins. I didn't think they should be so pleased and should reduce the dose. My otherwise excellent cardiologist also said to reduce cholesterol way down and also talke4d totals.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What worries me is not the relative risk of taking them at a sensible dose but if you take too many and have a total cholesterol level below 2 or whatever you will be doing real damage. Someone posted recently who said their total was 2.1 or something and was pleased at that low level after taking statins. I didn't think they should be so pleased and should reduce the dose. My otherwise excellent cardiologist also said to reduce cholesterol way down and also talke4d totals.
I glanced at a paper not so long ago that inferred that there was no lower limit with LDL. That made no sense to me at all (which is why I did not read the paper in its entirety).