Starting to wonder about Christmas foods

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
As my Type 2 wasn't diagnosed until almost the end of January this year, I've not had to consider a way around the festive season, and I would appreciate any tips and ideas about just what I can eat on Christmas day?
I would normally have roast turkey, honey roast parsnips, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, sage and onion stuffing and bread sauce ( together with brussels, carrots and peas)
What changes will I need to make to stay in glucose range this year?
Fortunately I never have Christmas cake, mince pies or Christmas Pudding ... so that's a good start I suppose.

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I eat what everyone else eats but smaller portions of the carby stuff. We don't have cake or mince pies, so that isn't a problem. I have strawberries and cream and plenty of wine. :) I also put my meter away in the drawer.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I eat what everyone else eats but smaller portions of the carby stuff. We don't have cake or mince pies, so that isn't a problem. I have strawberries and cream and plenty of wine. :) I also put my meter away in the drawer.

Too right - it's one day. Have what you want in small portions of carbs and there are loads of sugar free deserts you can make if you feel the need to indulge.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Roasts, but not Turkey, and frankly the thought of wasting my xmas day in the kitchen creating the traditional xmas dinner makes me recoil at the thought.

3 years ago, i cooked the meal in about 10 mins, in a single pan - and Mr B has asked for it every year since.
- the best steak available from our lovely butcher down the road, rare
- crumbled stilton on top, just melting from the heat of the steak
- served with fried garlic and onion
- and a huge green salad, mayo and balsamic vinegar

Dessert (berries and cream) isn't usually needed for several hours.

Last year, i didn't even bother with breakfast.

The only things i miss are honey roast parsnips and mince pies. But the menu above is superb compensation.
And this year I will be making a gorgeous range of fat bombs (lemon clouds, truffles, nut fudge, halva and mint-choc) which should satisfy all my other 'needs').

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51
D

Deleted member 308541

We're having the usual seafood and salad for the main meal, and then a bbq in the evening when it cools off.

Will cook some whole fish in alfoil in the bbq the day before to eat cold with the rest of the seafood.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I like Roasts, but not Turkey, and frankly the thought of wasting my xmas day in the kitchen creating the traditional xmas dinner makes me recoil at the thought.

3 years ago, i cooked the meal in about 10 mins, in a single pan - and Mr B has asked for it every year since.

The only things i miss are honey roast parsnips and mince pies. But the menu above is superb compensation.
And this year I will be making a gorgeous range of fat bombs (lemon clouds, truffles, nut fudge, halva and mint-choc) which should satisfy all my other 'needs').

Now THAT ... I like the sound of! I didn't know I could have Mayo though?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just check the label but most good quality mayo's are zero carb. Miracle whip is not mayo. I don't even know if you have that in the UK but here most people call it mayo, it has added sugar.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat tons of Mayo, every day almost. I am too lazy and incompetent in the kitchen to make my own so I buy Hellmann's Real Mayo. It is my salad dressing, mainly because I dislike olive oil. It has 1.3g carbs per 100g.

I'm another that doesn't like turkey so I have a fillet steak with my Christmas dinner. The others have turkey.