staying on Tablets ?????

spitfire1

Does any one Know how long can u stay on tablets for because I am 27 years old and have T2 Diabetes taking 4 tablets aday and my Hba1c 6.8 and it was 6.4 it has gone up alittle bit but not change my eating patterns or had no flu Does this mine my tablets are giving up on me ???? any help please thanks Ian In Essex

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ian,
It may be that your diet needs tweaking a bit to help your numbers.
Have you suffered any stress, had an infection? There are many things that can do this. Do you take any other medication as some tablets are notorious for raising blood sugars. Worrying about what might happen in the future is stressful so try and relax as much as you can. Do some exercise and try and include plenty of drinks of water.
If we can be of any help regarding diet then please let us know.

Catherine.

spitfire1

Hi thanks for your reply I do stress alittle bit about my sugar level because I am a bus driver and if i go on Insulin that jobs goes and out of a job. other then that my weight is 9st 2 and lost astone and ahalf since March 09 and running out of ideas to eat. people say low carbs but to scared to lose more weight thanks for your infor Ian In Essex

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ian,
As your livelihood depends on getting this right I would ask your GP if you can be referred to a dietitian who will be able to help with the weight loss and will also know all of your medical history.
Hope this helps,

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Spitfire.
I've been on tablets 7 years and use less than Idid at the start. now 2 x 500mg Metformin
HbA1c 5.1%
i eat low carb and do LOADS of exercise. Not less than an hour per day.Nothing complicated. Today i just walked the dogs for an hour
Hana

C

catherinecherub

hanadr said:
Spitfire.
I've been on tablets 7 years and use less than Idid at the start. now 2 x 500mg Metformin
HbA1c 5.1%
i eat low carb and do LOADS of exercise. Not less than an hour per day.Nothing complicated. Today i just walked the dogs for an hour
Hana
Hana,
This young man has problems gaining weight not losing it. He is worried sick about losing his job and needs to see a professional as I have already told him.
Fine if low carb work for you but there are other options.

Catherine.

spitfire1

once again thanks for your replys i do eat the right food for my Diabetes E.I fish chicken pork all fresh suff but running out of ideas thats all but i will phone my gp or my diabetes hospital to see someone about my weight I ant under weight but i do not want to leave it to the last min thats all does any one know how many crabs can u have in aday ????? has any one had there tablets up and but down then up again tho the Hba1c changing ????

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Hi Ian, do you test your BG levels before and after meals? Maybe there are certain foods that raise your BG levels. I don't think I would drop your food intake so much if you are losing weight.
I can eat certain carbs like wholemeal bread that don't push up my BG levels. Maybe testing may help you.
The other alternative is to add another medication to your Metformin. I think a visit to your GP or diabetic team is a good idea.

spitfire1

Hi cocacola, thanks for your suggestions! I take Gliclazide alongside my Metformin. I'm visiting my Diabetic team on 13th April, I talk on the phone to them regularly as I am sometimes unsure of what I am doing or whether I'm eating the correct things. I spoke to them today and explained that my BG levels have been a little high recently, I was then phoned back by the dietician who told me I wasn't eating the correct foods , so from tomorrow I will eat what she has recommended and see how my BG levels goes from there.
Thanks again.