Steak and chips

Martinjd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes steak and chips tonight but the chips are celeriac, I'm looking forward to the new experience.
Any tips how do you do yours?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I don't like Celeriac so now and then use a normal potato, washed cut into wedges and baked for 30 minutes, mmm enjoy yours

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've never tried celeriac either, but I'd guess you do it the same as for oven chips - I cut the potato into wedges or chips, coat with olive or corn oil and bake in oven at 200c for about 25 minutes, turning over once. I do sweet potato chips the same way.
Let us know what the celeriac chips are like. I might try them too.

Martinjd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They were very very nice, I cut the celeriac into chip sized pieces then blanched for a min or two, drained the water off left them in the pan and added a small amount of rape seed oil and a good sprinkle of curry powder, gave them a thorough toss until they were well coated. They then went into the oven at 230 for 30 mins, will be having them again for sure.

Reactions: 10 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds good. I'll get some celeriac next shopping trip and give that a try.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can also use swede or turnip if you're OK with those. I've also seen recipes for zucchini fries.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were very very nice, I cut the celeriac into chip sized pieces then blanched for a min or two, drained the water off left them in the pan and added a small amount of rape seed oil and a good sprinkle of curry powder, gave them a thorough toss until they were well coated. They then went into the oven at 230 for 30 mins, will be having them again for sure.
I've done them like that before, except used lard and smoked paprika (and lots of salt!)

Reactions: 2 people

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I just don't bother with chips any more. I like green beans and onion rings with my steaks. The small amount of bread on the onion rings is tolerable, and I get the 'taste' I always associate with chips and steak. I eat steak once a week as a treat, and because of that I splash out on a nice satisfying T-bone; enough to share with my Lady!