1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Steak and chips

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Martinjd, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Martinjd

Martinjd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes steak and chips tonight but the chips are celeriac, I'm looking forward to the new experience.
    Any tips how do you do yours?

2. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't like Celeriac so now and then use a normal potato, washed cut into wedges and baked for 30 minutes, mmm enjoy yours

3. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I've never tried celeriac either, but I'd guess you do it the same as for oven chips - I cut the potato into wedges or chips, coat with olive or corn oil and bake in oven at 200c for about 25 minutes, turning over once. I do sweet potato chips the same way.
    Let us know what the celeriac chips are like. I might try them too.

4. Martinjd

They were very very nice, I cut the celeriac into chip sized pieces then blanched for a min or two, drained the water off left them in the pan and added a small amount of rape seed oil and a good sprinkle of curry powder, gave them a thorough toss until they were well coated. They then went into the oven at 230 for 30 mins, will be having them again for sure.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Sounds good. I'll get some celeriac next shopping trip and give that a try.

6. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can also use swede or turnip if you're OK with those. I've also seen recipes for zucchini fries.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've done them like that before, except used lard and smoked paprika (and lots of salt!)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Martinjd

You've got me there, I didn't admit to the salt.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Phub

Phub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just don't bother with chips any more. I like green beans and onion rings with my steaks. The small amount of bread on the onion rings is tolerable, and I get the 'taste' I always associate with chips and steak. I eat steak once a week as a treat, and because of that I splash out on a nice satisfying T-bone; enough to share with my Lady!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook