Steroids and BG

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I've been having a recurrence of my chronic idiopathic urticaria since early September. Intolerable itching that drives me insane, can't concentrate because of it, work becoming an issue, a body like the map of the world and a face like Frank Bruno after a fight - resulted in two stays in A & E this week, second one by ambulance as I went into anaphylaxis. I've needed IV steroids and antihistamines because oral meds weren't touching it.

Whilst the steroids have cleared the rash and I'm itch free for the first time in 2 years (BLISS) my blood sugar is now at 22. Has anyone else got the problem of CIU related to diabetes and been through this because my GP doesn't seem to know what the cause is and I'm now being re-referred to the immunologist I was referred to, two years ago.

I really can't tolerate the skin rash so I need the steroids but don't like what they're doing to my sugar levels.

Advice appreciated please. :(

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear GraceK,
Steroids are one of the known medications that can seriously upset B/G levels. People who are forced into taking them for medical reasons should discuss the issuse with their Doctor.

Sometime as a compromise the Steroids can be used on alternative days so theat the interaction in minumised with and diabetic medications and a compromise can then be reached, but this something that needs to be done in consultation with your medical practictioners.

Hope this is of some help - Lazybones

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Thanks Lazybones ... Initially my GP didn't want to give me steroids because of the effect on BG, so we agreed to try different oral antihistamines. But from past experience I know when the rash gets to a certain stage, I'm going to end up in Anaphylaxis and need hospitalisation. And that's what happened again. Even with hospitalisation and IV antihistamines the rash won't subside without IV steroids followed by oral steroids and I can't bear the intolerable itching and the angio-oedema swelling that goes with it. I can't emphasise how exhausting and depressing it is to be constantly itchy for months on end, not to mention looking like I've been stung by 1000 bees!

With pain, you can take a painkiller, with itchiness, nothing takes it away - except in my case, steroids. I did actually say to my GP and the hospital - "At this point in time, the rash/itch is my worst condition at the moment, let's leave the diabetes issue until later." There comes a point when you have to know what to treat first I suppose. And as Anaphylaxis is life threatening, it has to be sorted immediately with whatever measures.

But I take on board your very good suggestion about alternating days on steroids and I will talk about that to my GP next time I see her. I didn't know that was possible, but it sounds like a sensible idea.

Thank you for that very useful tip. :)