Steroids For Cold

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

It seems scientists believe it's the host's response that determines the severity and duration of a common cold and not the cytopathogenicity of the virii which is very low.

In my case, I experience common colds extremely heavily so I wonder if oral or injectable steroids would help?

I only read one study where it resolved the cold within 48h for 1/3 of the subjects. Of course it's not panacea, but how do I get my GP or out of hours to administer me high enough dosage of steroids when I get a cold?

So far, I have tolerated well oral steroids and I get a cold 2-3 times per year.

thanks!

D

Deleted member 308541

Of course it's not panacea, but how do I get my GP or out of hours to administer me high enough dosage of steroids when I get a cold?
A stack of £10.00 notes, as you will not get steroids for a cold and sniffles free on the NHS.

Edited: typo.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
From my past reading steroids not only cause insulin resistance but lower your body's ability to fight off infection. These are fairly immediate effects compared to some of the side effects that Tipetoo mentions ( but they are really scary and cautionary nonetheless)) Also see myclevelandclinic - cortoicosteroids.
As you say fever, and other symptoms of a cold can be linked to your body's immune response (see the conversation.com/what the flu does to your body and why it makes you feel so awful) and lowering/ameliorating that with steroids might relieve the symptoms (but see this article: phc.ox.ac.uk steroids not effective on those who do not have asthma or other chronic illnesses) BUT some people, whilst fighting off a cold, with their immune system engaged and targeting the virus, will be more prone to a secondary infection like pneumonia. Taking steroids could increase that risk ?
see ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5481322. and ncbi/nil.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC47515771
Of course some people with asthma are prescribed steroids but only when a viral infection makes their asthma worse. I guess the need to settle their asthma and its very real risks outweighs the possibility of reducing their immune system efficacy and increasing risk of secondary infection. For others on steroids for other conditions i gather there are similar trade-offs. e.g. see asthma.org.uk/advice/inhalers-medicines-treatments/steroids/
In Oz at least, ( and I imagine elsewhere like UK) flu and pneumonia vaccination is free to diabetics, asthma sufferers, persons with lowered immunity from other causes. So with vaccination secondary infection is less likely in those considered more prone to it. As one delves further into the immune system ( with the risk of losing the pathway out!) there are ways that the immune system overreacts, but that is for another question/forum I think.
Be thankful that most of us have relatively good immune systems and that there are ways to help those who do not.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I dread to think what would be needed if it were a case of influenza!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, @Rabdos , my preference would be to avoid steroids where at all possible, due to their far reaching impacts - way beyond blood sugar levels.

I'm very fortunate that I rarely develop a full blown cold, although I have recently had a viral thingy that I initially thought, due to the initial symptoms of deafness and earache, was hayfever.

If I think I have something, like a cold that I think will develop, I get myself onto the Echinacea, just for a few days, to see it off.

A course of steroids may only take a few days to take, but the impacts can last much longer, but we all make our own choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dodo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....but we all make our own choices.

My choice to combat colds is to take a daily dose of vitamin C and zinc. I started it some years ago when I was finding I was getting several heavy colds each winter. Since taking the supplement I get maybe one cold each winter and it’s always very mild. Coincidence maybe, but I won’t stop taking it just in case! :joyful:

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on steroids for Polymyalgia Rheumatica and would not suggest you have it to treat a cold as steroids have so many side effects

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
Has to be said, Prednisolone does seem to cure everything anthibiotics don't.
Only they don't. They mask the symptoms until the problem goes away of its own accord.
So a short low dosage course takes 4 weeks. One to hide the problem, three to get off them without the problem coming back.
But they are cheap and a short course probably won't do any harm

The problems with steroids really flare when you start taking them long term, or at higher dosages.

I was on them for nearly four years with my Colitis, at dosages of up to 200mg. Between them, sulphasalazine and the medications to counter the side effects of the medicines to counter the side effects of the medicines meant to control my problem, breakfast, lunch and tea meant over 120 tablets a day!
Fair enough the sulphasalazine were 60 of them, and all I really suffered was chronic 'Moon Face' and jaundice, but they were long meal times!

The best treatment for a cold remains a tablespoon of brandy in a mug of hot milk before bed, with a mug of honey and lemon to keep the throat and cough down during the day.

Reactions: Seewalk