Steroids & Stability!

Grumpy

Had a snotty call from the Diabetes Clinic asking why I hadn't been to see them yet. I explained that I was not yet stabilised, owing to asthma/chest infections popping up every few weeks, necessitating steroids - 40mg a day for 5 days. I wonder if anyone can tell me how long steroids slosh about in the body, affecting BG levels, after stopping a course? I was doing well, got my BG down as far as 6.9 (from 27.3 on really bad days!!) and then this repeated cycle of infections popped up so I haven't been off steroids for a few months now not with less than 3 weeks between courses. I'm on Metformin twice a day.

jallsop

Given that you are on Metformin I would have said you are doing really well. Yes, the levels could be lower but I know how tough it is to achieve. I had difficulty controlling my levels and I was switched from twice a day insulin to 4 times a day. The most miserable thing about it all for me was that high dose steroids to control inflammatory bowel disease (taken over a long period of time) actually CAUSED my diabetes. :roll: And then i had to have my large bowel removed anyway so all the steroids were for nothing in my case! You have to laugh ... :lol:

Jackie

Dipstick

Hi I got steroidal diabetes following multiple tablets for asthma. Like you my sugars go up to 27 but I have Gliclazide to take to help keep it down. I find if I take Gliclazide at lunchtime when the sugars have climbed to enormous peaks that helps keep them down.

I think the steroids stay about 7-10 days sloshing around but they are diminshed before then. :wink:

badmedisin

I had a cortisone injection for some joint problem, and no-one bothered to warn me about its effect on my blood sugar. I couldn't get it below 20 for a month, after just one injection. And it didn't help with the pain either...

It might be worth visiting your diabetes clinic anyway, in case they need to increase your dose or change your tablets, or even give you insulin to get your sugar levels down. Better to be safe than sorry and all that.

Hope you feel better soon!