Still making mistakes I think.

fendertele

So my new diet list looks like the following.

Sausages ( square lorne)
Eggs lots of them.
Double Cream
Spray Dairy Cream
Sugar free jelly.
95% dark Chocolate.
Coconut flour.
Cacao powder organic.
Butter
Chicken
Tuna
Real Mayonnaise.
Beef
Frozen Veg
Baking powder
Coke Zero
Xylitol Sugar subsitute.
Coffee/Tea
50% less sugar tomato ketchup.
Block of cheese.

This seems to be about it so far and I like to note down what I have on a lifesum which calculates calories and carbs/protein/fat intake...

I keep seeing my carbs sitting around 60g per day and thinking am i still a little too high ?

Regular meals look something like this.

Breakfast one:

2/3 sausage and 3 eggs with 2/3 Tbsp of Mayo or just cover with tomato.

Breakfast two:

Two cans of tuns/onion/mayo mixed.

Breakfast 3:

Omelette with eggs/onions/cheese/butter made in omelette machine x 2.

Dinner 1:

Chicken and omelette with frozen veg and mayo.

Dinner 2 :

beef and omelette with frozen veg and mayo.

Treat 1 :

Sugar free jelly and dairy spray cream.

treat 2 :

Few Squares of dark choc

treat 3 :

Cup of Coconut Choc cake.

1 TBSP cacao
1tbsp Coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tbsp xylitol
double cream on top.

and coffee with double cream and 1 xylitol for sweetening.

And this is kind of my diet... I hate eating dry food more than limiting my diet. I could eat same meals all day as long as they are not dry and so far I've only been able to choose anything else but mayo and tomato ketchup the lower sugar version as most sauces and things are full of sugar..

Any tips or variation to offer ? Maybe something I'm eating i should cut out or replace ?

Two things I do have sweet tooth and I hate dry food.

thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Things that pop out a bit to me..

The spray dairy cream looks to be about 10% carbs and may contain sugar ?
Check the ingredients list
What's in the frozen veg?
Peas and carrots can be quite high carb.
What % carb are the Lorne sausages? Higher meat content might be better.
The ketchup and mayo could also be highish carb? How many g of carbs per 100g are they?
Personally I'd ditch the fake cake too..

Reactions: fendertele

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my new diet list looks like the following.

Sausages ( square lorne)
Eggs lots of them.
Double Cream
Spray Dairy Cream
Sugar free jelly.
95% dark Chocolate.
Coconut flour.
Cacao powder organic.
Butter
Chicken
Tuna
Real Mayonnaise.
Beef
Frozen Veg
Baking powder
Coke Zero
Xylitol Sugar subsitute.
Coffee/Tea
50% less sugar tomato ketchup.
Block of cheese.

This seems to be about it so far and I like to note down what I have on a lifesum which calculates calories and carbs/protein/fat intake...

I keep seeing my carbs sitting around 60g per day and thinking am i still a little too high ?

Regular meals look something like this.

Breakfast one:

2/3 sausage and 3 eggs with 2/3 Tbsp of Mayo or just cover with tomato.

Breakfast two:

Two cans of tuns/onion/mayo mixed.

Breakfast 3:

Omelette with eggs/onions/cheese/butter made in omelette machine x 2.

Dinner 1:

Chicken and omelette with frozen veg and mayo.

Dinner 2 :

beef and omelette with frozen veg and mayo.

Treat 1 :

Sugar free jelly and dairy spray cream.

treat 2 :

Few Squares of dark choc

treat 3 :

Cup of Coconut Choc cake.

1 TBSP cacao
1tbsp Coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tbsp xylitol
double cream on top.

and coffee with double cream and 1 xylitol for sweetening.

And this is kind of my diet... I hate eating dry food more than limiting my diet. I could eat same meals all day as long as they are not dry and so far I've only been able to choose anything else but mayo and tomato ketchup the lower sugar version as most sauces and things are full of sugar..

Any tips or variation to offer ? Maybe something I'm eating i should cut out or replace ?

Two things I do have sweet tooth and I hate dry food.

thanks
What are your blood sugar levels like on this menu? Do you test before eating and 2 hours later to see how your meals affect you?

fendertele

I currently don't test they told me just to get checked every 3 months to see how my bloods are looking, they offered two ways to lower levels meds/diet and diet alone and I opted for just changing diet.

I did enquire about testing with every meal/foods and the nutritionist and Doc both said not to bother as my level every few months would give a good indication if my diet is working.

fendertele

Things that pop out a bit to me..

The spray dairy cream looks to be about 10% carbs and may contain sugar ?
Check the ingredients list
What's in the frozen veg?
Peas and carrots can be quite high carb.
What % carb are the Lorne sausages? Higher meat content might be better.
The ketchup and mayo could also be highish carb? How many g of carbs per 100g are they?
Personally I'd ditch the fake cake too..

Hadn't checked the cream tbh just saw it was high fat and took it to be okay will have a look again.

Frozen veg does have some sweetcorn/carrots etc might need to limit them but then again it a small bag that i microwave.

The sausages don't come with any nutritional facts/ fresh butcher ones wrapped.

Yeah mayo and ketchup could possibly be high struggling to find alternatives to moisten meals as I choke/hate eating dry food any suggestions ?

Fake cake was a keto one on you tube so thought it would be okay no ?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hadn't checked the cream tbh just saw it was high fat and took it to be okay will have a look again.

Frozen veg does have some sweetcorn/carrots etc might need to limit them but then again it a small bag that i microwave.

Yeah mayo and ketchup could possibly be high struggling to find alternatives to moisten meals as I choke/hate eating dry food any suggestions ?

Fake cake was a keto one on you tube so thought it would be okay no ?
One of the problems I've found with butcher or farm shop sausages is knowing what's in them. I am sure they are good quality but carb percentages are not clear, it's one of the reasons I tend towards the finest type pre packaged from Tesco (other high street supermarkets are available)

The sqirty cream I suspect is higher carb. Veg can be higher carb but really testing yourself around food is a better way to measure the impact. I've found that whilst the veg is higher and I do limit things like carrots/peas etc I do like for variety

I do avoid the major offenders like potatoes and other very high carb

Mayo isn’t usually so bad carb wise. The ketchup might be

do you have milk in tea/coffee?

onions in tuna may be adding some

but honestly, seems a lot of what you describe looks lower end of the carb scale. If you test yourself you may find what you eat is okay? Some people can do a lot more carbs and still be okay but you won’t know immediately without testing. Hba1c will show something but isn’t as immediate and may mask spikes

fake cake... well, again testing but you say sweet tooth, it’s a Keto recipe and it’s likely a great deal better than other options. Unless you really want zero or near zero then why not? (My opinion)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To moisten foods try butter or cream
Both just have the one natural ingredient and will help educate your palate away from the sweeter things

Your doing well, just tweaking now

fendertele

How many carbs per day should i be looking to hit ? If i can have a total number in my head i would be able to achieve it.

Going to look into some keto sauce making... Mayo i will skip had disasterous results in the past when i was low carbing for bodybuilding lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd suggest asking the butcher if they have any carb fillers in them..

Hadn't checked the cream tbh
Nutrition label is your friend on the back

Frozen veg does have some sweetcorn/carrots
Again check the label for the amount of carbs per 100g if its more than 5g I'd think about replacing with some other veg.
Spinach, cauliflower...you can get both frozen.

Fake cake was a keto one on you tube
Might be ok but might not.. depends on how 'allergic" to carbs your body is..

Yeah mayo and ketchup could possibly be high
All the info you need is on the label. you can of course make your own mayo easily.. ketchup less so.. how about good old gravy from meat juices?
Or a creamy sauce made from cream?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How many carbs per day should i be looking to hit ? If i can have a total number in my head i would be able to achieve it.

Going to look into some keto sauce making... Mayo i will skip had disasterous results in the past when i was low carbing for bodybuilding lol
Well that’s up to you what to aim for. Low carb is generally <130g a day or so. Some people go for higher, some significantly lower and as close to zero as they can

the advice @bulkbiker is giving is towards the as low as possible but it’s always your choice as to what you are wanting to do and as has been suggested, if you want to know better what they do to your body then blood testing is your friend

What exactly are you trying to do with your diet?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently don't test they told me just to get checked every 3 months to see how my bloods are looking, they offered two ways to lower levels meds/diet and diet alone and I opted for just changing diet.

I did enquire about testing with every meal/foods and the nutritionist and Doc both said not to bother as my level every few months would give a good indication if my diet is working.
Sadly that’s usually a money saving exercise or a lack of understanding how testing works for type 2. They assume it’s about avoiding hypos and insulin dosing (as for type 1). Few type 2 get meters and strips on the nhs sadly unless on some of the stronger hypo inducing meds. A few drs/nurses are more enlightened. It’s always worth demonstrating you know what it can do and how it’ll be of benefit in managing levels to try and convince them. But don’t hold out much hope.

If you test before and 2hrs after a meal and note the difference it’ll show you how well or badly you coped with that food. Ideally less than 2mmol, less is even better. There’s a good post about meters that are cheaper to run as the cost is in the strips more than the meter I’d @Rachox could help please?

fendertele

Well that’s up to you what to aim for. Low carb is generally <130g a day or so. Some people go for higher, some significantly lower and as close to zero as they can

the advice @bulkbiker is giving is towards the as low as possible but it’s always your choice as to what you are wanting to do and as has been suggested, if you want to know better what they do to your body then blood testing is your friend

What exactly are you trying to do with your diet?

Just to reverse my Diabetes i believe i was just inside the range so on the lower range of type 2. So far im ignoring the information i was given by the Dietician and Doctor as they wanted a low fat/plant based diet and also allowed me to eat whole grain foods.

So i'm guessing where i am right now is a lot better than where i would have been on that diet. But i was hoping to have been given the go ahead to blood measure but was told no and to do it every 3 months but i'm thinking ill need to ignore this aswell.

I think going full keto might be bad as i like body building and go through stages of bulking and cutting and only way to gain muscle is to be in a caloric deficit and also carbs for energy/cortisol control ? unless maybe theres another way to look at ?

But yeah apart from that open to all suggestions thanks.

fendertele

I'd suggest asking the butcher if they have any carb fillers in them..

Nutrition label is your friend on the back

Again check the label for the amount of carbs per 100g if its more than 5g I'd think about replacing with some other veg.
Spinach, cauliflower...you can get both frozen.

Might be ok but might not.. depends on how 'allergic" to carbs your body is..

All the info you need is on the label. you can of course make your own mayo easily.. ketchup less so.. how about good old gravy from meat juices?
Or a creamy sauce made from cream?

Thanks gosh i thought the mayo was going to be the hardest of the two to make. Yeah i guess im going to have to start taking BG levels to see. I know i have an intolerance to nuts so that limits me also a little. The gravy from the meat juices is defo one to build up to but will maybe give it a go lol

fendertele

Sadly that’s usually a money saving exercise or a lack of understanding how testing works for type 2. They assume it’s about avoiding hypos and insulin dosing (as for type 1). Few type 2 get meters and strips on the nhs sadly unless on some of the stronger hypo inducing meds. A few drs/nurses are more enlightened. It’s always worth demonstrating you know what it can do and how it’ll be of benefit in managing levels to try and convince them. But don’t hold out much hope.

If you test before and 2hrs after a meal and note the difference it’ll show you how well or badly you coped with that food. Ideally less than 2mmol, less is even better. There’s a good post about meters that are cheaper to run as the cost is in the strips more than the meter I’d @Rachox could help please?

Yeah ill give them one more go and if not ill go it alone, i guess with a limited shopping basket ill be able to find out what i can and cant eat with testing pretty fast and then just limit testing to when i eat anything outside of my tried and tested shopping basket ?

Also read to threads in sig very helpful.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks gosh i thought the mayo was going to be the hardest of the two to make. Yeah i guess im going to have to start taking BG levels to see. I know i have an intolerance to nuts so that limits me also a little. The gravy from the meat juices is defo one to build up to but will maybe give it a go lol

Hi there, I buy posh jars of mayo (various brands in most supermarkets, I like the chilli mixed ones). They are around 0.5 carbs per spoonful and taste MUCH better than the average brands. Many people make their own but not me, I'm far too lazy for that. x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I buy posh jars of mayo (various brands in most supermarkets, I like the chilli mixed ones). They are around 0.5 carbs per spoonful and taste MUCH better than the average brands. Many people make their own but not me, I'm far too lazy for that. x
I mean, even hellmans Mayo is 1.3G per 100g so to be fair it’s pretty low carb

I can’t talk, I prefer salad cream :angelic:

I blame my parents for my unrefined palette

Reactions: Speedbird

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mean, even hellmans Mayo is 1.3G per 100g so to be fair it’s pretty low carb

I can’t talk, I prefer salad cream :angelic:

I blame my parents for my unrefined palette

Yes, and a spoonful goes a long way. You sound like my hubby, it's salad cream all the way but a nono for me (not since I was a kid). x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, and a spoonful goes a long way. You sound like my hubby, it's salad cream all the way but a nono for me (not since I was a kid). x
Heh
Well for @fendertele as you can see Mayo is likely not a big issue but getting the nutrition info is a good way to go

myself, I weigh a lot of stuff and keep a food diary. Things like the butchers foods as you have indicated are harder as you can’t get the info but hopefully you have some further ideas now?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other comments in that you do need to test how your meals are affecting you. You sound like you're doing fantastic to me, it sounds nearer to a keto diet than a 'low carb' one. By testing you will know if it's working and if your numbers are coming out high then further investigation may be needed. x

fendertele

Thanks everyone good to know im in the right direction, started overthinking it earlier thinking i'd been going down the wrong path for over a month now.. but yeah will start to monitor more closely and even try my hand at making my own versions when i get the time. Good news in the meantime the Hellmans real mayo is around 1.6g per 100g thats a win! Just noticed hot sauces are also a go on some sites ? so this might mean i can order in a breadless meat feast of grilled/chicken/lamb with cheese and kebab sauce :D