Stimulants for tiredness?

Insulin_John

Hi

Before being diagnosed with type1 (April 08), when tired at work I used to take Proplus tablets, sweet sugary sweets or drink Redbull- all of which I know are usually off-limits now!

Is there anything I could take instead, when feeling tired? :|

Thanks

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Insulin_John said:
Hi

Before being diagnosed with type1 (April 08), when tired at work I used to take Proplus tablets, sweet sugary sweets or drink Redbull- all of which I know are usually off-limits now!

Is there anything I could take instead, when feeling tired? :|

Thanks
I've had quite a problem with tiredness & dozing off when I shouldn't. Embarrassing for a church organist when you wake up after the sermon... I used to take diet stimulant drink to church.

Last few months I've reduced carb by about 2/3. Doziness & a lot of other health matters are measurably better.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
can't beat a nice strong coffee. certainly makes me open my eyes in the morning! esp with a husband that snores like a freight train! sleep can be hard to come by.either that or strong tea or lots and lots of water i find keeps me alert.
I used to be the red bull queen in my younger days (18-19) but that was mainly mixed with vodka! now i can't stand the stuff.
found the most lovely coffee the other day called "Lazy Sunday" really lovely drink all smooth and tasty but does make you that little more alert.

oh dear....... confessions of a caffine addict. i used to be about 8 cups of the strong stuff a day! now am only on about 5 at most. still naughty i know.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Manxie, are you suggesting I have a coffee percolator to use during the sermon :?: The smell would keep everyone awake & drooling :lol:

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Oh yes!!! that would be ace!!! you could share after the sermon has finished!!! i would definatly consider that as an option #!!! :p :p :D

chocoholic

I'm always nodding off but there is one thing guaranteed to wake me up and have me racing round the room withamazing amounts of energy.....................a lively spider running in my direction! Who needs coffee,eh? :wink:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Definately prefer the coffee to the spider!! :lol:

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I think that the copious quantities of caffeine I consumed inthe last four or so years "helped" me greatly to become diabetic. Probably alot damned quicked than I would otherwise have succumbed.

Normal day would include 4 or so cans of sugar free redbull type drink (couldn't afford the real stuff lol) four cups of hot java lava (never sugared always black) plus 2 glasses of caffeinated diet soda ... and I thought I was doing GREAT by having no sugar ... excessive consumption of caffeine (as per my previous incarnation!) can cause WILD swings in blood sugar control and should be thought through very carefully by an diabetic or pre-diabetic.

And the reason I used to consume all that caffeine? To counterract the total exhaustion caused by - yep, you guessed it, undiagnosed diabetes. DUH ... vicious circle anyone???

So ... I now drink decaff coffee at home and may occasionally imbibe in a REAL brew :) I DO still ahve the odd glass of diet caffeinated soda (such as Pepsi Max which has much less caffeine than Coca Cola, for instance) and I WILL be using a diet red bull type drink when I am planning a long drive next weekend (as it will be very early morning one way and very late at night on the way back).

The theory being the caffeine will wake me up for the journey and the hyperglycaemia will help me sleep through the flights! lol ... I'm kidding with this last bit!!

xxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ian,
send your vicar to our rural dean, who has said that if you can't get the point of the sermon over in 5 minutes, you are losing your audience. Perhaps if you give him/her some coffee, the sermon would be over too fast for anyone to fall asleep. For myself, I try for a good night's worth and try to keep warm.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Thats one of the things I really miss, strong black perculated real coffee, when in the house it was always on. Now resides on top of the kitchen cupboards in a bin bag. At work I even had a 24v kettle in the truck. Not yet found a subsitute, waters just not the same :roll:

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Can't say I've noticed much of a difference between days when I have coffee and those when I don't.

Regards, Tubs.

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
Take 10 mins in the sunshine, ( If you can find any ) or a little walk :lol:
A walk stimulates the body and elevates the adrenaline & stimulates your endorphins

Trinkwasser

fasteddie said:
Hi all

I drink black coffee all day long and it has never had an effect on my BG numbers is this unique ?

Kind regards Eddie

Given that papers on the effects of caffeine are pretty evenly divided between those claiming improvements and those claiming it worsens BG I'd say no. For once you're middle of the road.

It's one of my major food groups, always has been. Even helps me sleep (ADD)

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Jem said:
I think that the copious quantities of caffeine I consumed inthe last four or so years "helped" me greatly to become diabetic. Probably alot damned quicked than I would otherwise have succumbed.

Strange you should say that. I was close to being addicted to espressos when I worked in an Italian restaurant. I got shown how to make them - thick strong with a nice crema. Loved them. Drank SO much espresso. One busy valentines night I also took 12 pro-plus and a few days later, when I was yellow through jaundice (eyes too!) the docs said they were pretty sure I OD'd on caffeine and nearly killed myself! (I looked like a Simpson's Character!). A year later at 24 I'm diagnosed with T1.

Coincidence? Maybe. Who knows.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I drink my coffee with whippeed cream or milk foam on top. Today I decided to try hot chocolate ( from a sachet) and I'm glad the dog likes it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
With Bgs in the normal range, you may not need stimulants.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I definately need some sort of stimulant as I'm totally knackered. Keep falling asleep once I'm home from work. Sleeping a lot more than ever before. Must get thyroid checked out again. Got asthma check up at clinic in couple of weeks will mention it then

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
hanadr said:
Ian,
send your vicar to our rural dean, who has said that if you can't get the point of the sermon over in 5 minutes, you are losing your audience. Perhaps if you give him/her some coffee, the sermon would be over too fast for anyone to fall asleep. For myself, I try for a good night's worth and try to keep warm.
Have you read Hardy's "Under the Greenwood Tree?" Where the choir takes hot brandy to keep warm, & all fall asleep during the sermon. When they wake up they start playing a dance tune from the Saturday night :oops:

My sermons last about half an hour, which I think is enough. We need to explain the Scriptures in context & apply their teaching to the congregation. I use 45 minute tapes in the hope that the end-of-tape click will send a message to the other preachers. I take notes & sip water to help maintain concentration.

Chez said:
Take 10 mins in the sunshine, ( If you can find any ) or a little walk :lol:
A walk stimulates the body and elevates the adrenaline & stimulates your endorphins
Good idea, Chez, but I think I might be noticed :oops: Only parents of young children are allowed that privilege.

I woke any sleepers up last Sunday, preaching on the feeding of 5,000. Jhn 6:15 Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king... I sang a fragment of "There lived a king" from Gilbert & Sullivan's "Gondoliers."
"Now that's the kind of king for me,
He wished all men as rich as he,
so to the top of every tree
promoted everybody."

Seriously, better BG control has improved my sleepiness considerably.

gillyh

Dislikes
I'm off to Argos later to buy a new camera. There's a £10 voucher too so I'm thinking of buying a Senseo coffee maker next week. Has anybody got one of those? If so, what do you think of them? :?: :)