stomach bugs and hypos what to eat

sabrina

hi my son is 5 and when he has hypos he is becoming very bored of digestive biscuits its been 3 years and as he suffers badly with them so eats them alot as well as coke. is there anything else he can have thats a bit tastier but easy as when he is at school he will need it there(is custard creams too much sugar). also he is getting over a very bad bout of a stomach bug and had to spend time in hospital as we could not keep him at a safe level is there anything that is good to keep in the cupboard for when this happens again. i was just wondering what fellow diabetics do when this happends to them? :evil:

jopar

Hi sabrina

I'm suprised that your sons using biscuts to treat hypo's and these don't get into the system very quick.. Have you though about Jelly babies/beans these are very easily to calculate the carb value.. It only takes 3 or 4 to sort most hypo's... And fizzy drink is suitable as long as it the standard version and not a diet version of these..

If you looking for a slow carb for after a hypo, how about cheese and crackers.. Even a apple or pear all can tie him over to his main meal

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
my fav hypo fix is Jelly Beans from the Jelly Bean factory. 5 or 6 for me will pull me out of a hypo.

Much more fun than a digestive biscuit, quicker too!

DaveDisco

only problem is if you give a child sweets when they have a hypo, they might let/make themself hypo in order to get sweets

glucose tablets are much better IMO

sabrina

we treat a hypo with 100ml of sugar coke and after that 1 to 2 digestive biscuits. but like i say he is becoming increasingly bored and wont have it no more :? so any suggestion is good about what other people use. :)

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Sabrina,
My son always has a supply of lucozade at school as a liquid will always get into the system quicker, they also make a range of flavours now, apple, orange, blackcurrant,ect. He'l then have a biscuit, beware of treating hypos with chocolate as the fat in chocolate slows down the absortion of sugar, but a few squares or mini bar instead of a biscuit are fine. Hope this helps, all the best
Suzi x

lilibet

Any fizzy drink, of course

Also, what about candy floss, tablet, macaroon bars. Creme eggs have chocolate in them so slow absorbtion but the middle section is pure icing sugar.

What about cake with icing on it. Eat the icing first then follow it up with the cake?
Jelly babies, jam, honey.

My fav for hypos is a cup of tea with sugar!! Dont suppose that would appeal to a wee fella though!

For afters swap the digestives for oatcakes, rich tea, or my favourite HOB NOBS. Or one weetabix.
Jaffa Cakes might be too sugary but now and again?

L

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
The jelly beans/babies are excellent for the quick glucose and for a five year old milk and/or milo would be a good way to get him to his next meal and may be a bit kinder to his teeth. There are also a lot of sport products sold in sports stores that have a great range of bars etc with fast and slow acting carbs. As for the stomach bug I have heard of people making up their hypo kit and using it over a 24 period in small doses to avoid the hospital visit and potential of getting more bugs while there. I haven't had to deal with my son having a stomach bug yet, but, because he is only 2 I would just pack my bags and go to the hospital. Regardless, I would be in touch by phone to the hospital for advice.

Cheers