Stomach cramps

Sneh Shah

When I started on metformin for type 2 diabetes, I had some symptoms but nothing major. But after three months, I have had stomach cramps, eventually followed by vomiting. There is no pattern, it seems to happen maybe once a month, I have no warning, do not know how long the cramps are going to last.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Welcome to the forum :)
I am bumping up your post in the hope that more people will see it and you will get some advice from someone who has had a similar problem.

landyboy

Hi there, firstly I don't want to scare you with my experiences.

I have been on metformin for nearly six years and have had stomach cramps intermittently for about as long. I was always told it was to do with the medication and if I could tolerate it not to worry, so that is what I did. Now, just over two months ago (on a Thursday evening) I had the cramps again really bad whilst in bed, incapacitating they were for about an hour then they went away. Over the course of the weekend I turned a shade of yellow, it was obstructional jaundice. The pains had been gallstones and the jaundice caused by my bile duct being blocked by the stones.

I am now on the way to recovery but wonder if the pain all along may have been gallstones. There is no history of gallstones in my family and the GP and consultant have said they are more common in diabetics.

It maybe worth having an ultrasound of your abdomen just to rule out gallstones.

Hope this helps a little.