Stomach cramps

sarah1282

Ive been on metformin for 2 weeks now and since Friday im getting terrible cramps at the top of my stomach just below my ribs. Im just wondering if this is normal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BobCornelius

Hi Sarah!

Metformin is an amazing drug, however different people tolerate it in different ways! It can ( in my experience ) cause stomach cramps, explosive wind and loose stools,, ( bad combination )!

It is worth trying Slow Release metformin, this seems to be much gentler on those who fare badly with it! Also, take the metformin with food, as in during a meal, halfway through it not before or after, this also helps!

:)

Bob

sarah1282

Thank you Bob im seeing my dr on Wednesday I will ask him for the slow release ones because ouch lol
Also I have been taking them at the start of my meal so im gonna try your way x :razz:

cherylle

hiya sara iv been takeing metformin since january 2013.It as given me bad stomach cramps,horrible wind,feeling sick but not as bad as it was.I take mine same time as my meal and a good glass of water, I dont know what id do without this forum because its so friendly and puts your mind at rest.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meanwhile I took mine before dinner tonight and I can hear my stomach gurgling away... Oh dear. Another metformin disaster coming soon I fear...

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The more carbs you eat, the worse metformin affects you. I get the runs if I have wheat with my metformin, so I don't!

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
I ALSO HAVE BEEN ON METFORMIN BEFORE LOOSE STOOLS TO SAY THE LEAST WAS THE SIDE EFFECT I HAD THEN AFTER 2 MONTHS PUT ON THE SLOW RELEASE METFORMIN WHERE I HAD THE SEVERE STOMACH CRAMPS THIS IS A VERY GOOD DRUG WITH MORE PROPERTIES THAN WHAT PEOPLE REALISE STICK WITH IT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD I DID AND THE CONSULTANT EVENTUALLY CHANGED ME OVER TO ANOTHER DRUG EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND ALSO THEIR NEEDS GOOD LUCK
JOHNTY