Stopped Statins

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided to stop taking Atorvastatin to see if my glucose comes down and also I have developed a bald patch on my head. I have always had plenty of hair (female 62) but heard someone on the tv say that statins can make your hair come out.

What I want to know is how long will it be before I can assess whether or not this has made a difference - how long will it take for my body to be rid of them? I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has also stopped statins because of side effects.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took my last statin on 22nd May. Since 24th May my morning fasting levels have dropped from an average of 6.2 to an average of 5.8.
I don't know if the statins caused this, or that my insulin resistance has begun to improve, but it is interesting.

I didn't stop because of side effects, I didn't have any. I just want them out of my system before my next blood tests to see if it has any effect on my cholesterol levels, and also as an experiment regarding glucose levels..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never had to take them but I'd imagine 2-3 days is a fair guess.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse said that it takes a month to get them out of your system. There is some evidence to support what she says since it took a month before I could walk again.

Reactions: 5 people

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse said that it takes a month to get them out of your system. There is some evidence to support what she says since it took a month before I could walk again.

So Squire you have had bad effects from statins? I am only on 10mg Atorvastatin but as I am in a very big battle with my glucose levels I thought I would give them a break and see if I get any improvement. As for my bald patches/thinning on my head, not sure about that - last week my hairdresser said stress can cause hair loss. Well I have had an absolute bucket load of stress in the past 18 months I am surprised I am not bald !!

Anyway, thanks for your input that gives me a better idea.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I took my last statin on 22nd May. Since 24th May my morning fasting levels have dropped from an average of 6.2 to an average of 5.8.
I don't know if the statins caused this, or that my insulin resistance has begun to improve, but it is interesting.

I didn't stop because of side effects, I didn't have any. I just want them out of my system before my next blood tests to see if it has any effect on my cholesterol levels, and also as an experiment regarding glucose levels..

When is your blood test then how long will you have been off the statins before your blood is tested? Thank you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quote from Stephanie Seneff.

"People on long-term statin therapy start to notice that their hair is receding faster, they're developing cataracts, they can't hear as well as they used to, they keep forgetting things, they can't open the pickle jar any more, and perhaps they'll need rotator cuff surgery soon, as their shoulders are so sore"

She seems to think hair is affected. The whole article is here so you know I am not making it up.

http://www.spacedoc.com/why_statins_do_more_harm_than_good

Reactions: 6 people

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm on 80mg atorvastatin and I see no difference in my bg levels when I stop taking them, I stopped at 1 point for about 3 months and the only effect I could tell was an increased cholesterol level

I am however starting to wonder if it could be lowering my testosterone levels?? Im always tired and have little to no interest in sex

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on 80mg atorvastatin and I see no difference in my bg levels when I stop taking them, I stopped at 1 point for about 3 months and the only effect I could tell was an increased cholesterol level

I am however starting to wonder if it could be lowering my testosterone levels?? Im always tired and have little to no interest in sex

Statins are not for lowering sugar levels they are supposed to lower cholesterol.

As to interest in sex, I would like to blame statins but I fear I was losing it before I took them.

Reactions: 2 people

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Statins are not for lowering sugar levels they are supposed to lower cholesterol.

As to interest in sex, I would like to blame statins but I fear I was losing it before I took them.
I'm aware statins don't lower BG some people claim they actually raise it, or make it harder to control.. Im simply saying I'm on a high dose and I see no difference in control either with or without them

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: dbr10

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

"People on long-term statin therapy start to notice that their hair is receding faster, they're developing cataracts, they can't hear as well as they used to, they keep forgetting things, they can't open the pickle jar any more, and perhaps they'll need rotator cuff surgery soon, as their shoulders are so sore"

She seems to think hair is affected. The whole article is here so you know I am not making it up.

Squire, thank you so very much. I have terrible pain in both my thumbs and shoulders - I have regular complementary therapy to help with this and when I told her that I was going to come off the statins to see if some things would improve she said it will be interesting to see if your thumbs and shoulders improve - just down to time now. At least I know I need to leave it for 4-5 weeks before I consider any improvements. I am always saying to my husband that I am worried I am developing dementia because I keep forgetting things eg leave lounge for bedroom and even before I get there I have forgotten why I have gone :) and hubby keeps saying it happens to us all as we age!! so I will definitely be looking for some improvement in that area too.
Thanks again. :happy:

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf

Blimey - I have got a full house on this one.
Is this for real ?

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this for real ?

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.
You might want to raise your Levo, or try NDT. Common symptoms of low thyroid function or wrong/low meds. Apart from statins side effects, that is.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided to stop taking Atorvastatin to see if my glucose comes down and also I have developed a bald patch on my head. I have always had plenty of hair (female 62) but heard someone on the tv say that statins can make your hair come out.

What I want to know is how long will it be before I can assess whether or not this has made a difference - how long will it take for my body to be rid of them? I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has also stopped statins because of side effects.
I haven't taken statins myself, but hubby was put on Simvastatin some years ago for no particular reason. He already had difficulties with pain and weakness after a stroke but the statins stopped him completely from walking and doing things that required physical effort. It took a couple of months for him to stop complaining about pain. I think his cholesterol was too low and it took this time for it to rebuild and mend the damage done.

Reactions: 3 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on simvastatin, then it was changed to atorvastatin and amlipodine (you cant do simva and amlipodine at same time) ( I dont recall any discussion on this) I already had pain in my arms - the uncontrolled diabetes killing my nerves perhaps - but the atorvastatin definitely made the pain worse. Gave the atorva a rest for a week, pain decreased. Doc suggested a lower dose and additional pain returned again.
I have now come off all meds as I try and see what is going on. Arm pain is definitely less, but have awful pain in left shoulder which affects sleep.

My opinion fwiw is statins are for really ill people, not as a prophylactic (ie just in case).

Drug companies spend billions on such drugs. They have to get their money back somehow. Do you really think the ceo of such a company in his private jet is really bothered about my arm pain?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this for real ?

"Stephanie Seneff is a Senior Research Scientist at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
She has a Batchelor's degree from MIT in biology with a minor in food and nutrition, and a PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, also from MIT."

Well, she has enough qualifications for me to listen to her. Yes, it's definitely real.

A

AnnieC

I was told by my GP that it takes 2 weeks to get them out of the system

Reactions: 3 people
A

AnnieC

I take
I was on simvastatin, then it was changed to atorvastatin and amlipodine (you cant do simva and amlipodine at same time) ( I dont recall any discussion on this) I already had pain in my arms - the uncontrolled diabetes killing my nerves perhaps - but the atorvastatin definitely made the pain worse. Gave the atorva a rest for a week, pain decreased. Doc suggested a lower dose and additional pain returned again.
I have now come off all meds as I try and see what is going on. Arm pain is definitely less, but have awful pain in left shoulder which affects sleep.

My opinion fwiw is statins are for really ill people, not as a prophylactic (ie just in case).

Drug companies spend billions on such drugs. They have to get their money back somehow. Do you really think the ceo of such a company in his private jet is really bothered about my arm pain?

Sorry do you mean Amlodipine....you have amlipodine.......can't be taken with Simvastatin...I take both Amlodipine and Simvastatin have done now for about 5 years and never heard before you can't take them together