Stopping combined contraceptive pill and effect on blood sugar

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hi there,

This question is not directly linked to pregnancy but I wanted to capture women's experience of this please.

I have been on the combined pill since I was 15, I'm now 36. Being diabetic, my doctor wants me to go on the mini pill. I am also considering stopping the pill completely as I am now very health conscious and concerned about taking hormones. I might also consider having a baby in the next few years so it makes sense to start adapting my body to eventually be pill free. My questions are, Has anyone changed from the combined pill to mini pill and experienced any weight or blood sugar control issues? And, Has anyone stopped contraceptive pill altogether and experienced weight or blood sugar control issues?

I am interested in trying either of these options but am concerned about the effect on my weight and blood sugar, so would be grateful to hear your views.

Thanks,
Tweety

emmarw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi tweety
I came off the combined as I'm trying to conceive. Didn't experience any weight gain or blood sugar issues, only crazy hormonal ones!!! I've been off for 4 months now, and testing my bs like mad, and have reduced my insulin but I don't know if that's pill related or just because I'm keeping really tight control. It feels good not to put additional hormones into my body too. Is there a reason relating to diabetes that your dr has suggested the mini pill?
Em.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App