Stopping Metformin

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After visit to diabetic clinic last week I stopped taking Metformin to see if it was the cause of my horrendous wind problem. Dr said to keep an eye on levels as they may begin to rise. Within days wind problem appeared to have gone and so far levels ok. However I have had aching in my hips and buttock muscles the last couple of days with no obvious reason. I do have Ankylosing Spondylitis but this is not a usual symptom so I'm just wondering if it's anything to do with stopping metformin. I was taking 500mg at lunchtime only.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Could just be Autumn. I have aching hips at the moment and I'm not on any medication.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could just be Autumn.

Hey! I didn't do anything. ;)

Shelly - they don't call it Metfartin for nothing. I'm sorry I don't know about your other problems, though, and whether stopping Metformin brought them on.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking Statins because they have been known to cause problems?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Plain Metformin is known to cause bowel upset. If you aren't on Metformin SR (Slow Release) then do ask to be changed to that version.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I was taking Metformin MR for 4 years I am also taking Atorvastatin 10mg per day (amongst many other medications) and have been taking these for longer so don't think they could suddenly start causing problems

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
After visit to diabetic clinic last week I stopped taking Metformin to see if it was the cause of my horrendous wind problem. Dr said to keep an eye on levels as they may begin to rise. Within days wind problem appeared to have gone and so far levels ok. However I have had aching in my hips and buttock muscles the last couple of days with no obvious reason. I do have Ankylosing Spondylitis but this is not a usual symptom so I'm just wondering if it's anything to do with stopping metformin. I was taking 500mg at lunchtime only.
Hi. Which type of diabetes do you have please? I've just been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis aged 22. Wondering if there's a link with diabetes. I'm insulin resistant. Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks.