Stopping smoking my journey

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi all after 45 years of smoking, chest infections every year, smokers coughs countless other problems and now my diabetes i have decided to give up the awful habit ,so i went to see the smoking nurse at my surgery this evening to get help. We decided the best way forward for me would be champix tablets , after going through all the side effects with me and to keep a close eye on my bg levels as the tablets can effect these i pick up my first script on thursday.And so my friends join me on my journey because i need all the help and encouragement i can get.

Reactions: 13 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had similar journey, 14 years ago!

If I can do it, after smoking for 30 years, anyone can!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll support you and anyone else who gives up smoking, I'm sure once you get over the withdrawal symptoms you'll feel so much better, good luck and keep the thread updated.

Reactions: 6 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks noblehead will keep updating as the days go bye .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck and all the best for a smoke free future. I stopped 5 1/2 years ago, first week was hell, but so glad I did it and lots of support from my then 9 year old, she was just so supportive :) and I haven't touched one cigarette :happy::joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

tpowell29210

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quit 8months ago and before I was diagnosed as t2. I used the 3 step patch and it worked very well for me. Quitting smoking was one of the best things that I have done for myself. It has made so many more positive impacts on my well being beyond what I had expected. And surprisingly being around smokers does not make me want to smoke at all. Take heart and move forward and reap all the rewards of being a non smoker.

Reactions: 2 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all after 45 years of smoking, chest infections every year, smokers coughs countless other problems and now my diabetes i have decided to give up the awful habit ,so i went to see the smoking nurse at my surgery this evening to get help. We decided the best way forward for me would be champix tablets , after going through all the side effects with me and to keep a close eye on my bg levels as the tablets can effect these i pick up my first script on thursday.And so my friends join me on my journey because i need all the help and encouragement i can get.
Good luck!!
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit using Champix 4 years ago - was the best thing I ever did for myself. Took me many attempts to finally succeed, but I really do feel it's for good this time. I hardly ever think about cigarettes any more. Family have commented on how much better my breathing is nowadays, though I didn't realise myself how bad it was at the time.

Good luck with your efforts :)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Giving up smoking is the best thing you can do for your health and wealth. I managed to kick my 40 a day habit almost six years ago, the best advice I can offer is never give up giving up. You will succeed eventually.

Reactions: 8 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father-in-law gave up after 40 years, and from having been a 50-a-day man. He was strongly motivated: Mrs hay-char was expecting our daughter, and my mother-in-law told him flatly (but correctly) that once the baby was born we would never visit a smoke-infested house if it meant exposing our precious newborn to tobacco fumes.

He is quite a proud man (though not in an unpleasant way) and he resolved to announce to everyone at the Golf Club and in his Office, wherre he was the boss, that he was giving up smoking. Having done so, he would never have endured the resultant loss of face if he had failed. I think he used patches to get over the physical addiction withdrawal but it was the prospect of public humiliation that kept him on the straight and narrow in my opinion.

That was over 20 years ago and I'm pretty certain he has never touched a fag since. In consequence, he has seen both of his grandkids, quite a lot :)

Good luck to the OP. I am enormously grateful that I never started smoking (except for the occasional, erm, herbal cigarette :cool:). I'm sure I have saved myself a lot of grief.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I did it with CHAMPIX after 47 years so good luck mate it's not easy but it's worth it

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Quick update
Got my first pack of champix today, start taking them in the morning so will see how i go, got to keep an eye on my bg levels because iv`e been told the tablets can affect these.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi all had my first tablet this morning was supposed to take it yesterday but best laid plans and all that, bg did rise a little but nothing to worry about,

M

mrspuddleduck

If its any consolation I've just lapsed..... Could kick myself but after horrendous few weeks decided it was a ciggie or hysteria - the ciggie won!!! Sue xxx

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If its any consolation I've just lapsed..... Could kick myself but after horrendous few weeks decided it was a ciggie or hysteria - the ciggie won!!! Sue xxx
Climb back on the wagon sue we can do it together david xxx

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I stopped almost 26 years ago, smoked 80 per day. My best advice, take it ONE DAY at a time, some days in the beginning will be be very difficult and then slowly but surely it gets easier. Keep posting and everybody will lend their support. My very best wishes.

Reactions: 5 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Pasha i need to do this i have 8 grandkids to support.