1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stopping smoking my journey

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by oldman1954, Jun 15, 2015.

1. oldman1954

oldman1954 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all after 45 years of smoking, chest infections every year, smokers coughs countless other problems and now my diabetes i have decided to give up the awful habit ,so i went to see the smoking nurse at my surgery this evening to get help. We decided the best way forward for me would be champix tablets , after going through all the side effects with me and to keep a close eye on my bg levels as the tablets can effect these i pick up my first script on thursday.And so my friends join me on my journey because i need all the help and encouragement i can get.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I had similar journey, 14 years ago!

If I can do it, after smoking for 30 years, anyone can!

• Like Like x 4
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I'll support you and anyone else who gives up smoking, I'm sure once you get over the withdrawal symptoms you'll feel so much better, good luck and keep the thread updated.

• Like Like x 6
  4. oldman1954

Thanks noblehead will keep updating as the days go bye .

5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good luck and all the best for a smoke free future. I stopped 5 1/2 years ago, first week was hell, but so glad I did it and lots of support from my then 9 year old, she was just so supportive :) and I haven't touched one cigarette :happy::joyful:

• Like Like x 4
  6. tpowell29210

tpowell29210 Type 2 · Member

I quit 8months ago and before I was diagnosed as t2. I used the 3 step patch and it worked very well for me. Quitting smoking was one of the best things that I have done for myself. It has made so many more positive impacts on my well being beyond what I had expected. And surprisingly being around smokers does not make me want to smoke at all. Take heart and move forward and reap all the rewards of being a non smoker.

• Like Like x 2
  7. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good luck!!
    Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  8. brettsza

brettsza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All the best with quitting smoking

• Like Like x 2
  9. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I quit using Champix 4 years ago - was the best thing I ever did for myself. Took me many attempts to finally succeed, but I really do feel it's for good this time. I hardly ever think about cigarettes any more. Family have commented on how much better my breathing is nowadays, though I didn't realise myself how bad it was at the time.

Good luck with your efforts :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Giving up smoking is the best thing you can do for your health and wealth. I managed to kick my 40 a day habit almost six years ago, the best advice I can offer is never give up giving up. You will succeed eventually.

• Like Like x 8
  11. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My father-in-law gave up after 40 years, and from having been a 50-a-day man. He was strongly motivated: Mrs hay-char was expecting our daughter, and my mother-in-law told him flatly (but correctly) that once the baby was born we would never visit a smoke-infested house if it meant exposing our precious newborn to tobacco fumes.

He is quite a proud man (though not in an unpleasant way) and he resolved to announce to everyone at the Golf Club and in his Office, wherre he was the boss, that he was giving up smoking. Having done so, he would never have endured the resultant loss of face if he had failed. I think he used patches to get over the physical addiction withdrawal but it was the prospect of public humiliation that kept him on the straight and narrow in my opinion.

That was over 20 years ago and I'm pretty certain he has never touched a fag since. In consequence, he has seen both of his grandkids, quite a lot :)

Good luck to the OP. I am enormously grateful that I never started smoking (except for the occasional, erm, herbal cigarette :cool:). I'm sure I have saved myself a lot of grief.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JAY1JAY1

JAY1JAY1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did it with CHAMPIX after 47 years so good luck mate it's not easy but it's worth it

• Like Like x 2
  13. oldman1954

Quick update
    Got my first pack of champix today, start taking them in the morning so will see how i go, got to keep an eye on my bg levels because iv`e been told the tablets can affect these.

14. oldman1954

Hi all had my first tablet this morning was supposed to take it yesterday but best laid plans and all that, bg did rise a little but nothing to worry about,

15. mrspuddleduck

mrspuddleduck · Guest

If its any consolation I've just lapsed..... Could kick myself but after horrendous few weeks decided it was a ciggie or hysteria - the ciggie won!!! Sue xxx

• Like Like x 2
  16. oldman1954

Climb back on the wagon sue we can do it together david xxx

• Like Like x 2
  17. mrspuddleduck

mrspuddleduck · Guest

Ive promised myself I will!!! :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. oldman1954

Good for you

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pasha

Pasha Type 2 · Expert

I stopped almost 26 years ago, smoked 80 per day. My best advice, take it ONE DAY at a time, some days in the beginning will be be very difficult and then slowly but surely it gets easier. Keep posting and everybody will lend their support. My very best wishes.

• Like Like x 5
  20. oldman1954

Thanks Pasha i need to do this i have 8 grandkids to support.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook