Type 1 Stopping sweetner / badly affecting BGs?

bonerp

Hi
I have decided not to take sweetner in tea and coffee as I keep reading how bad the affects can be.

In a little over a week my insulin sensitivity have increased massively.

I am finding where I might have needed 6 units for breakfast, now 5 units is miles too much. And evening meals my BG's are through the floor....

In the last 3/4 days I have eaten so many chocolate bars and dextrose tabs its unreal.

Through the night my pump working with CGMS is alerting me constantly and my average BG is coming our under 3!!!

Is this typical?! Has anyone else found this as a side affect of not using canderel/splenda for example?

thanks

Paul

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul,

I don't know the answer to your question as I haven't cut out sweetners, but the powdered form of Splenda (sucralose) definitely raises my BG. It's not really surprising as it is full of maltodextrin and other carbs used as a bulking agent - it actually has a lot of carb in it. The liquid form of sucralose such as DaVinci sugar-free syrup and the tablet form of Splenda do not have the bulking agent and contain zero carb - these do not affect my BG at all. All polyols that I've tried e.g. xylitol, maltitol etc raise my BG by nearly as much as sugar (sucrose).

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

bonerp

thats worrying that sweetner has stuff in it that effecively does the same as sugar?! And if they reduce inslin sensitivity like this, we'd all be better off using sugar - or having none of course!!!