Strange Hypo At night?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, had a bit of a strange incident last night. i put a new Libre Sensor on my arm yesterday, seems to be working fine. it shows at 5am my blood sugar took a nose dive i had been sitting at around 7 All night before then.

i Cant even tell how far i dropped as the sensor seems to have stooped collecting data during the bottoming out. it cut recording for a few miniutes when i hit 4.5 but the trend would suggest it kept falling then it started recording again as my blood sugar began to rapidly rise which brought me up to 12mmol.when i tested at breakfast.

i was unaware any of this happened it didnt cause me to wake up i just noticed it when i scanned my libre in the morning.

the thing is i hadnt had any rapid acting insulin in about 10 hours at this stage, so im not sure how it managed to start dropping so rapidly, the line on the libre was almost stright down, took the same levmir as normal etc

any one any ideas?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Maybe worth doing a basal check tonight just to be safe.

Some members have reported that when they sleep on the side where there sensor is positioned it can give false readings, I've not experienced this to date but haven't been using the Libre for that long.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Be very careful @itconor - this was unlikely to be a Hypo. Dependent on positioning, if you apply pressure on the sensor whilst you sleep it records low. It isn't. It is a "Compression Low" as the interstitial fluid is forced away from the sensor. It happens in all CGM sensors. You were never that low overnight.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is an example of it happening to me. The position of my last sensor was really bad and it happened a lot.

I went to bed at 7.6 according to the sensor. I then proceeded to lay on it showing a bg of low at 2am when I went to the loo. When I got up, you see it was heading fast down.

5e7728c70580ad39fb90d1483ed4983e.jpg

The blood test showed a much higher result and the Libre then played chase as the interstitial fluid flooded back.

f2b0f37f7ea3c585a274699b785c2425.jpg

This is how the plot looks. As you can see, the point at which I woke up and changed position is the point at which the readings start to come back up.

30efd814e7fc40e197fb269ec75c1271.jpg

Basically it thought I spent the night low, when the reality was far from that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sensors can give inaccuracies with lying or even weight of duvets... Best to blood test for a night....

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! yes that is pretty much what my Plot looks like for last night with gaps were it thought i was low, i think i may have placed it on a diffrent part of my arm than normal that i maybe lye on. as i did notice it was a little uncomfterable as i was trying to go to sleep, which ive never noticed before!

Thanks this is pretty reassuring !

This is an example of it happening to me. The position of my last sensor was really bad and it happened a lot.

I went to bed at 7.6 according to the sensor. I then proceeded to lay on it showing a bg of low at 2am when I went to the loo. When I got up, you see it was heading fast down.

5e7728c70580ad39fb90d1483ed4983e.jpg

The blood test showed a much higher result and the Libre then played chase as the interstitial fluid flooded back.

f2b0f37f7ea3c585a274699b785c2425.jpg

This is how the plot looks. As you can see, the point at which I woke up and changed position is the point at which the readings start to come back up.

30efd814e7fc40e197fb269ec75c1271.jpg

Basically it thought I spent the night low, when the reality was far from that.