Strange result

magicaldebs

I have been on a very low carb diet for 4 weeks. I have lost 16lbs, my blood sugars have gone from an average 9.5 to an average 5.3, I've already cut my meds and I'm feeling so much better.
But there is another strange effect. My husband tells me that I have stopped snoring. I have had a real problem with loud snoring, that wakes both me and my husband throughout the night. Its not the weight loss, 16lbs is a drop in the ocean and in the past I have lost 5 stone but the snoring didnt improve.
Any ideas why this might have happened?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
VLC(arb)D is the miracle cure for everything.

/Discussion. 8) :lol:

Seriously though - I noticed A LOT of things clering up when I first started lo-carbing.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I stopped snoring too.

I used to have a real problem, and get slightly embaressed when I flew, because I was always worried that my snoring would keep half the aeroplane awake. (I once woke a friend who was sitting on the opposite side of a 747). At one stage I was seriously considering buying a hooky CPAP machine for £500+ to help me sleep better at home. :yawn:

Since I caught the old diabtetes and started low-carbing, I've stopped snoring altogether (according to my long suffering wife). Combined with not having to get up to drink and use the loo, this has significantly improved my sleep, and left me less exhausted during the day.

Most of it is probably due to fact that I dropped 50lbs, but it could be something to do with the diet. The snoring subsided pretty soon after I was diagnosed.

magicaldebs

It's amazing isn't it? My snoring was embarrassing too. Apparently the neighbours could hear me!
I have noticed so many changes since I have cut out carbs. My husband swears that they are like poison to me. I think he might be right.

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husbands snoring has also improved so maybe it is wheat/carbs etc, very strange but it means a good nights sleep for me!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
More likely the lc diet caused the weight loss which in turn helped to stop the snoring, I suffered from sleep apnoea till I started to reduce my weight but I didnt go utra low carb just smaller portions and cut back on carbs eating low GI where possible.

The snoring stopped and the sleep apnoea disappeared, still snore occasionally but nothing like I used to.

Despite what some on here may say carbs are not responsible for all the worlds ills.

Grazer

Sid Bonkers said:
More likely the lc diet caused the weight loss which in turn helped to stop the snoring

I'd go with this. Hard to imagine carbs per se could cause snoring. What the hell, it worked so who cares! :clap:

daisy3174

Hi, had to reply to this as my other half has to be the worlds worst snorer, the nights I have had to spend on the sofa you wouldnt believe.He also stops breathing in his sleep and I have to give him the elbow to start him breathing.Have told him, but he doesnt believe me lol.Anyway to the point, I have noticed, that it is only when he loses weight it all stops,I swear it is all the weight he has around his neck that causes it.When he puts the weight back on, it starts again x

magicaldebs

Yes I agree I think weight loss would definitely have an effect, especially of you carry weight around your neck, but I honestly don't think it's that. I don't carry an awful lot of weight around my neck, perhaps two chins, but no more :) and as I say in the past I've lost a lot more weight which hasn't had this effect.
Whatever the reason, it has made such a difference to my life. I have so much more energy from the LC diet, but also I'm getting a much better nights sleep.