Strange (to me) Blood Glucose Reading, help please

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Last evening I had a 3 egg cheese omelette with one slice of Hovis Seed Sensations bread, with margarine, for my evening meal at about 6pm. I tested my blood at 7.30 and it was 8.3. At 8.15 it was 8.1 and then at 9.30 it was 10.2. Oh I also had 2 Psyllium husks with my tablets at 7pm - including 2 metformin.

What could have caused this later, higher reading?

Thanks
Ailz

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
It must have been the Hovis which is slow acting carb which is why it took longer to raise your levels. Try and find some other bread that suits you better, or cut it out if you have the same problem with other breads. That is why it is good to test - to find out what you can eat and what you should avoid.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is why with certain foods.....slower acting carbohydrates we tell people to test not just at 2 hrs but sometimes 3 or 4 hrs or even later (Pizza effect). If you only test at 2 hrs it doesn't show the later rise in Bg levels. Something you need to be aware of when deciding if you are able to tolerate things like bread, potato, rice, pasta etc.......

They may be slower acting BUT....they will still have an effect ! Bread is a very rare treat for me because of this, although I do sometimes think, "What the hell !" and have a nice crusty white slice with lashings of butter...... :wink:

C

catherinecherub

Have you tried Burgen bread? It costs a £1 a loaf from supermarkets.
What intrigues me is why you would eat three eggs and then take the husks. Eggs are renowned for causing constipation.

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I'm starting to eat low carb, but can't go shopping until tomorrow, so I'm eating what is in. I've had an omelette for the last 3 evenings and needed the husks too go to the loo. Once I've been to the shops - probably tomorrow (when hubby's money will be in the post office) then I'll be buying Burgen bread and more suitable foods.

Part of it is going to be working out what to eat that is low carb on a very restricted budget. :? High starch foods - porridge, rice, semolina, potatoes etc., are all so much cheaper. I need to change my mindset, I know, and I will.

Thanks for all your replies and help

Ailz

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi Ailz
before you go out shopping don't fall for the supermarket classic (diabetes this diabetes that !!) its a lood of cod's wallop :lol: :lol: .
Have a practise run on any of the supermarkets on line you can read the labels on the products. It's a good start and you won't be blind shopping and also you can budget and save some pennies. As for the next question the answer is (have a browse on this site for various recipes and snacks etc.
Good luck and be happy :D
JF.

C

catherinecherub

Hi ailz,

It is no fun when money is tight and it makes sense to use up what you have got in.
Try and buy enough so that you can make enough to freeze. This is a good idea if you are making soups, casseroles etc.
This site compares prices between the large supermarkets, http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/
A whole chicken is better value than buying ready prepared portions and you can use the carcass in soups. You may find that beans do not affect your blood sugars. Buy the dried ones and soak overnight. They can be added to most dishes and even perk a salad up. They will addd more bulk to the meal. They come under the category of resistant starches.http://www.resistantstarch.com/Resistan ... +response/
We all have to go back to basics and cook from scratch as even "healthy" prepared meals are full of salt, sugar and preservatives.
Happy shopping and take a magnifying glass with you as some labels are very small print. :roll: