1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stress sickness and sugar levels

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Deanuz, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Deanuz

Deanuz Type 1 · Member

On Friday I was the victim of an unprovoked assault since then I've been pretty stressed and I also have a cold but this weekend no matter how many correctional doses I take my sugar levels seem to still peak very high also producing ketones could My sickness or stress be impacting these? And any advice to help get it back under control

type 1 diabetic on lantus and novorapid

2. diabetic12yrs

diabetic12yrs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gosh really sorry to hear that and I hope you are ok. Yes I find stress has an impact on sugar levels. What are your numbers like

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your assault , hope your ok.

Yes both the assault and cold will raise your BG, try to drink lots of fluids to flush the ketones and keep taking the correction doses, also contact your team to review your readings with them, hopefully in a few days you should start to come down again.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Deanuz

Deanuz Type 1 · Member

Currently they are 21 but have been pretty much above 10 since Friday

5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

See if you can get this solved today - call you team and see if you can discuss making an adjustment to bring it back down ? Hope you're feeling better ;)

6. petepontiac

petepontiac Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope you get sorted quickly. I am sure your team will help.

7. mojo_101

mojo_101 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At that point i would change to a new phial on the grounds that your corrections are not working, especially if i had been running higher basal/bolus for illness.
    Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cathn61may

Cathn61may Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you see a Medical professional after the assault. You really should have Type 1 is a pain when your body is in a stressed condition and with you being well. I would seek medical advice because if you increase your insulin too much you could drop and then have a hypo. You could increase slightly. But if you were me I'd seek medical advice. I have had Type 1 for 49 years.

#8 Cathn61may, Mar 27, 2016 at 10:12 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2016
  9. suenjames

suenjames Type 2 · Active Member

I am having the same problem had tonsillitus now i have scarlett fever my levels have been highest 29.7 to around 17 i am taking extra medication as instructed by my diabetic nurse but its not coming down.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook