Stressful job

sarah1282

Hi all just looking for some advice. 2 months ago I was diagnosed type 2 a week later told its actually type 1.5 and I will need to start insulin.
My question is my job is very stressful I work in the nhs as an administrator and my office doesn't have the nices thing people there I seem to do all the work I don't have time to eat and when I finally get to eat my sandwich I have to work while eating. Do you think I should ask my dr to sign me of sick so I can get my head round all this new diabetic stuff im learning (finding it difficult to deal with) and if so how long for.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sarah, as far as your employer goes, doesn't sound as if they're being very supportive but they are staying within the law. They are not obliged to pay you ( although many companies do ). As far as time off from work, that's a personal thing. Some want to carry on as normal, orhers struggle a little. It sounds like a couple of weeks signed off as unfit for duty may help so you can get your head right and research etc. Good luck.

Sheppie84

Hi Sarah!
I too have 1.5, initially identified through pregnancy.
When I started insulin during pregnancy I really struggled with it, I was scared of needles, having a hard pregnancy and worked as a head of dept in a secondary school (I ran 4 subject area so it was quite stressful).
I had 2 weeks off to help me get my head round it and it really helped me.
Take some time off, get used to your routine and find an insulin pattern that works for you. X

sarah1282

Thanks sheppie im seeing my dr on Thursday im going to ask him to sign me off. I definitely need to get into a good routine especially for eating. It sounds silly but I do sometimes forget to eat which I learnt the hard way yesterday is not a good idea lol.

Sheppie84

I was the same and once got to 2.9 and had to crawl my heavily pregnant self to the kitchen and spoon feed myself sugar and ice cream! Not a good time [PENSIVE FACE]
Your health is more important than any job and your employers have a right to make sure they are supporting you in this.
Make yourself a priority.

neilrollo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed a year ago Friday 13th july 2012.
I am a security guard for the co-operative and was denied permission to leave shop floor to take my blood and do my insulin injection : by the store manager,i had an argument with him over this and was suspened on full pay for 3 weeks with a warning.
I am now on long term sick leave on stress to not knowing if this will happen again :x :x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
suspended for three weeks on full pay is a bad thing?

this reminds me of being suspended from school..... errrr okay thatll really teach me a lesson

onthegow

How do all.
It sounds bad what you all have been through. Especially the one working for the nhs. Should they not be the leading employer on welfare and care! Guess that's why we are where we are in the uk. Whatever happened to support and care. With regards to being suspended for 3 weeks I would check and speak to your union sounds a bit like discrimination to me and preventing you from access to your medical care is something I'm sure they cannot do. What would they have you do become a casualty. Good luck everyone perhaps exposing your bosses to humility may do them some good remember they all have bosses to take it further get some union advice. And meals and routine is the most important thing with diabetes.

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
Hi Sarah1282, my advice to you is to self refer to the occupational health nurse.

Firstly she will also help you cope with what you are going for but she will also write to your line manager clearly stating that you need a protected lunch break and time to take your meds, as well as time needed to monitor your blood levels as part of your daily routine.

This will mean that they can't make you work brought your lunch etc. Also remember it is more than likely that you will be covered under the equality act.

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
PS Not going to name them, but my employers are fantastic with me, even going so far as to provide things that no-one requested but they thought may help x

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
neilrollo said:
I was diagnosed a year ago Friday 13th july 2012.
I am a security guard for the co-operative and was denied permission to leave shop floor to take my blood and do my insulin injection : by the store manager,i had an argument with him over this and was suspened on full pay for 3 weeks with a warning.
I am now on long term sick leave on stress to not knowing if this will happen again :x :x

I think you should mention the European Court of Human Rights to your employer and see how he responds.. :wink:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
sarah1282 said:
Hi all just looking for some advice. 2 months ago I was diagnosed type 2 a week later told its actually type 1.5 and I will need to start insulin.
My question is my job is very stressful I work in the nhs as an administrator and my office doesn't have the nices thing people there I seem to do all the work I don't have time to eat and when I finally get to eat my sandwich I have to work while eating. Do you think I should ask my dr to sign me of sick so I can get my head round all this new diabetic stuff im learning (finding it difficult to deal with) and if so how long for.

I also work for the NHS as a Med Sec and it's a very stressful job. There's never a minute to stop and draw breath during the day, typing reports and letters to target times, constant interruptions from other people in the office and with telephone calls mean my headphones are on and off all day long, my back is aching by 2pm and by 5pm sometimes I don't feel I have the energy to walk to my car and drive home. It's relentless, but the attitude of some managers is "If you can't do the job, you're out."

That's the reality of the NHS. And there's almost a stigma against people with medical conditions who work within the NHS - I don't feel there are many allowances made to help keep people with medical conditions in work, not unless your condition or disability is PHYSICAL AND OBVIOUS and you're the 'token disabled employee' for their statistics. Sadly, it's the same story within the NHS as anywhere else - disabilities that are not blatantly visible are deemed unimportant. I hear complaints from people about the unemployed and how they should get back to work, yet at the same time the workplace doesn't welcome and is openly hostile to those very people who, for whatever reason have been unemployed and are trying to get back into work AND cope with medical conditions.

So we have bodies like ATOS telling people they're fit to work even if they're crawling on hands and knees, and then we face employers who then expect 100% fitness to work and who don't really want us slowing their workforce down. Those who are working and in perfect health have absolutely NO idea of the difficulties some of us face every day just getting into work. I'm constantly asked what I did at the weekend, what I did last evening etc and my constant reply is "I crashed out and slept". All my energy goes into my job and I don't have any left over for weekends or evenings. :(

sarah1282

Hi grace. I totally get you everything you said is the same with me. I had a bad hypo at work and wasn't allowed home after, I was so drained and felt so unwell. And the amount of times ive heard your diabetes is easy to control so you won't need time of. Ive been to occy health and they told me diabetics are covered under the disability law 2010 so as long as you get a note from your gp you will be safe in your job. I had to fight for time of for hospital appointments they wanted me to use my annual leave.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sarah1282 said:
Hi grace. I totally get you everything you said is the same with me. I had a bad hypo at work and wasn't allowed home after, I was so drained and felt so unwell. And the amount of times ive heard your diabetes is easy to control so you won't need time of. Ive been to occy health and they told me diabetics are covered under the disability law 2010 so as long as you get a note from your gp you will be safe in your job. I had to fight for time of for hospital appointments they wanted me to use my annual leave.

That is unbelievable! How are they getting away with that? What kind of people would want to get away with it. I despair sometimes at the human race