Strips & Lancets Prescription

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m now 7 weeks post T2 diagnosis (although Practice Nurse didn’t quite tell me I’m T2, my med notes say it). My HbA1c was 123 and I was given a monitor the day of that reading (and loads of meds) with the lancets and strips put on repeat prescription. Is this postcode related or will my prescription eventually be withdrawn?

Such good advice and support on here. Thank you.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m now 7 weeks post T2 diagnosis (although Practice Nurse didn’t quite tell me I’m T2, my med notes say it). My HbA1c was 123 and I was given a monitor the day of that reading (and loads of meds) with the lancets and strips put on repeat prescription. Is this postcode related or will my prescription eventually be withdrawn?

Such good advice and support on here. Thank you.
What meds were you given?
If any can cause hypo then that’s what should happen with regards to testing, not always the case mind you so looks like you have a good practice there

will it continue? Well we can’t say

Reactions: klogs17

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What meds were you given?
If any can cause hypo then that’s what should happen with regards to testing, not always the case mind you so looks like you have a good practice there

will it continue? Well we can’t say

Thanks for the reply. Metformin 2000mg (dropped to 1500 as it is atrocious in the morning) and Gliclazide initially for 12 days but BG went too low. Oh and some Ramipril thrown in for my BP too :/ Pricked fingers crossed the prescription continues.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply. Metformin 2000mg (dropped to 1500 as it is atrocious in the morning) and Gliclazide initially for 12 days but BG went too low. Oh and some Ramipril thrown in for my BP too :/ Pricked fingers crossed the prescription continues.
Glicazide probably would be the reason
A bit surprising they put you on full dosage metformin to start too, but maybe due to those levels you presented with.

I wouldn’t mention it, hope it continues but if the glic stops (which isn’t a bad thing if you can get your levels down and lots of advice on these forums to help there) then it may stop

Remember as non-diet controlled you can apply for a medical exemption for free prescriptions. It’s not a given, has to be requested

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn’t mention it, hope it continues but if the glic stops (which isn’t a bad thing if you can get your levels down and lots of advice on these forums to help there) then it may stop

Remember as non-diet controlled you can apply for a medical exemption for free prescriptions. It’s not a given, has to be requested

Yeah that does make sense about the Gliclazide as I had the “may have hypos” advice from the nurse. Thankfully my pharmacist mentioned the exemption so already have the card which was a relief.

Reactions: Andydragon

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit surprising they put you on full dosage metformin to start too, but maybe due to those levels you presented with.

Oh missed the metformin part - I worked up from 500mg to the full dose over a few weeks.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I dare say if you get under control and the gliclazide is removed strips will be withdrawn unless your gp/nurse forget

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dare say if you get under control and the gliclazide is removed strips will be withdrawn unless your gp/nurse forget

Gliclazide stopped for 6 weeks now, reduced my dose of metformin and also looking at my daily readings thus far… I’m just not going to remind them haha.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Gliclazide stopped for 6 weeks now, reduced my dose of metformin and also looking at my daily readings thus far… I’m just not going to remind them haha.

May change when the do a review... but yes don't remind them

May boss was given them and kept them until they considered his control to be better... but there is the postcode lottery and other factors

In my case I have 2 types of strip on my prescription.. neither one does my gp normally prescribe as they are not the cheapest.. and I'm not limited in quantity as DVLA has written to him to make sure I get what I want

So while there are rules there's exceptions too