Struggling, could do with some advice.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed type 2 18 months ago, initially given Metformin and Gliclazide as sugars approx 17mmol fasting. Decided to low carb, as I had done it before for health reasons, but mixed with Gliclazide ended up with a very low HbA1c so doc took me off the Glic. Taken off Metformin as it interfered with stomach too much. Decided I could deal with this with diet and exercise despite GP, but he was supportive so did it anyway. After 6 months, HbA1c was a bit higher than he would have liked so was given Sitagliptin. Sugars not too good so went back, sugars went up and up, felt ill, thirsty beyond belief, body tired, hair and nails not performing as should, went back to GP. Sugars now in the 20s and feeling ****. GP took me off meds and put me on Glimerpiride and Pioglitazone. Was told to eat healthy amount of carbs.

So that's the history.........

Today had couple of slices of small loaf of wholemeal with marmite for breakfast as I do most days in work, with a coffee, but didn't really think about lunch, had some veg casserole (I make lunches in batches and freeze) but didn't really have anything with it, and when I got home from work, did some housework and came over all ill. Started getting massive hot flushes and waves of nausea and couldn't get my breath, felt **** to be honest and it came in waves and kept getting worse. Went for a lie down and saw my meter, not sure why but thought I would take a reading and I was really low so assume I was having a hypo. Had some food (slice of my daughters chocolate cake and slice of toast) and slowly started to feel better.

Now since being on this new regimen my sugars have been averaging between 9-13 in the mornings and 8-11 in the afternoon. Why all of a sudden would they drop so low? My GP was concerned that they were high in the first place due to an infection but my blood tests came back today and they were negative for infection.

Sorry to ramble but it helps to talk and get it off my chest.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I really rambled on, there was a point, I just forgot.

Why 2 hours after my hypo do I still feel strange and odd and similar although without the flush and sugars are now ok.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed type 2 18 months ago, initially given Metformin and Gliclazide as sugars approx 17mmol fasting. Decided to low carb, as I had done it before for health reasons, but mixed with Gliclazide ended up with a very low HbA1c so doc took me off the Glic. Was told to eat healthy amount of carbs.

So that's the history.........

Today had couple of slices of small loaf of wholemeal with marmite for breakfast as I do most days in work.

Now since being on this new regimen my sugars have been averaging between 9-13 in the mornings and 8-11 in the afternoon. Why all of a sudden would they drop so low? My GP was concerned that they were high in the first place due to an infection but my blood tests came back today and they were negative for infection.

Sorry to ramble but it helps to talk and get it off my chest.
I have done some editing in my answer to your original post as I was not sure I understood things.

Do you mean 9-13 mornings and 8-11 afternoon are low readings?

How low was your too low HbA1c reading?

How much "healthy" carbs do you have in a day?

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I did waffle a bit. My morning reading on the new medicines are between 9mmol and 13mmol mostly the latter, and afternoons 8mmol - 11 which I know if much much lower than 18-20 where they have been, can't remember the HbA1c it was confusing as I didn't really understand. As it worked out, the GP reckons my average was 8.5mmol and that was higher than he wanted at the time, but that was with no medication and I was quite pleased.

I have 2 small slices of wholemeal bread with breakfast, and a small serving of savoury rice with my lunch of chicken salad, I also try to have a small jacket spud with dinner, been following Slimming world quite successfully so space out my carbs throughout the day.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't call your bg readings successful, sorry. I myself can not have any grain at all, neither bread nor rice or my bg goes above 10 and I so don't want that so I have decided to stay off all grains including rice. Bg readings without grain and fruit and obviously without any cake or sugar are perfectly normal morning readings as in below 5.6 and 2 h pp below 6, often below 5 if I have been good.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. What weight are you i.e. are you overweight? If so then you need to reduce your overall carbs and not have a 'healthy amount' whatever that means. By all means spread the carbs out but keep them down overall. I don't understand what the GP was doing with your meds? Gliclazide and Sitagliptin are standard 2nd/3rd level meds beyond Metformin. Did the GP prescribe Metformin SR (Slow Release) version? Glimepiride is another variant of Gliclazide and the Glitazones have some side effects. I'm surprised he swapped the meds (but I'm just an amateur on this and perhaps there was a reason). How many grams of Gliclazide were you on when you had a low HBa1C?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sally

I am afraid I agree blood results look to high and so do carbs.

Maybe time for a change?

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You answers leave me confused. When I completely cut the carbs my readings were too high for no meds, then with the meds they were still high, only with the glic a glimeperide have they begun to come down. Now in single figures for the first time in weeks surely that is an improvement.

I am overweight and I started slimming world on the advice of my GP have lost almost 3 stone, was already quite active, but now even more so. GP said if I could lose a decent amount of weight then the diabetes would be easier to manage.

Reason for no metformin, was severed stomach reaction, both to the regular kind and the slow release.

Was on 80mg Gliclazide to start with, then 40mg but was low carbing at the time and the 2 didn't mix.

Currenlty on 3mg Glimeperide and 30mg Pioglitazone.