Struggling to Eat a Decent Sized Meal

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed mid Jauary, I am on 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x Gliclazide per day. My BG levels are falling slowly - 16 when the DB nurse did a finger prick test on my first appointment on 13th Feb and now averaging 9 - 10 (lowest so far was 7.8 2 hours after breakfast yesterday). So still quite a way to go.

I am 5ft 3ins and just before Chritmas I weighed around 10st 8lbs. Over about 2 months have dropped to 9st 2lbs so I don't really want to lose ay more.

I have stopped eating any carbs for a week now as I found that, no matter how small the portion, they sent my BG level up to around 12. But that is not the real problem, I just find that my appetite has got smaller and smaller. I never was one for big meals but even having one small piece of lamb and veg is too much. In fact, this morning my husband made me scrambled egg (1 egg) and two rashers of bacon and I had t force it down.
Is there anyone else who has found this?

I play badminton twice a week, go for at least a 30 minute bike ride at the weekend, and we both do archery which involves a fair amount of walking.

Sorry - waffled on a bit.

Julie :confused:

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Julie, haven't you done well ? :)To lose all that weight is fantastic. I too had a problem with appetite whilst taking Metformin, I eat little and often, this has helped to keep my weight stable. I aim to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Hope this helps

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Julie, haven't you done well ? :)To lose all that weight is fantastic. I too had a problem with appetite whilst taking Metformin, I eat little and often, this has helped to keep my weight stable. I aim to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Hope this helps
Thanks, Bernie. That's encouraging. I wll try that rather than 3 meals a day.
Julie