Struggling to find low carb non cheese vegetarian food.

Rosieshe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New member and have this is my first post, I have been sitting on the side reading and reading great post - I am struggling with my diet. (wasn't sure if I should post here or in the vegetarian section)

History
I have yoyo dieted which caused me to binge eat and now I am very overweight vegetarian (veggie 30 yrs) When I first got Diagnosed 1 year ago I lost wright and the docos said all good no worries. Fast forward I have put the weight I lost (10kgs) and in the last 4 months put it back on plus more! ( I have now undergone cognitive theory for eating disorder and I have found it so helpful.

So I have 2 months of focusing on my diet to get levels down it was 10.5 a couple of weeks ago then 7 days ago 9.3 and this morning 7.7 all through diet.

I am struggling with low carbs and being vegetarian who cannot tolerate milk lacto intolerance. I eat eggs though.

I started following Patrick Holford Reverse Diabetes and found that after breakfast of oats and some frozen berries My levels 1 hrs after eating were 11.4.

So have had to test test test. Everything I eat. yet I am still caught out I thought my home made split pea soup would be a good lunch options but no 2 hr test after eating it to 10.6.

I seem to do very well on eggs, (7.7) even with a small slice of toast, and butter also with only 30 grams of pasta al dente made into a veggie salad with chickpeas.

I have downloaded a few vegetarians low carb books (all manly high cheese recipes) but can’t seem to get enough to make the week interesting. I am interested on other non milk/cheeses eating vegetarians and how they manage.

I have only been concentrating on the food this past 9 days. So I guess overall I am on the right tracks.

Anny suggestions welcome – but please no eating meat I cant I cant stand the taste I hate the fake meats as well.

Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you found this thread?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ave-you-eaten-today.88074/page-6#post-1028027
Some of the posters on it do a veggie version of low carb, and I have always found @Avocado Sevenfold 's menu ideas incredibly inspiring!

I am not a vegetarian, but I often go through phases of finding meat and veg rather boring on Low Carb. Every time this happens, I end up turning to herbs, spices and interesting Asian, Indian, African, Caribbean or Mediterranean dishes to revive my interest. Perhaps India could be your inspiration. There are marvellous things that can be done with coconut cream instead of milk and cheese, and the lentil, chickpea and pulse dishes are beyond delicious...

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @rosieshe Welcome to the forum :)

Why not pop over to the vegetarian sub forum and we will keep you right? There are lots of recipes here that are either vegan, lacto-free or can be adapted. For example, last night I had a lovely low carb cauliflower-rice mushroom risotto. Throw out the butter and cheese and replace with coconut oil, nutritional yeast and some nuts and it would be delicious. And as @Brunneria says, everything tastes better with herbs and spices!

Reactions: 2 people

Rosieshe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you both will go over to Vegetarain sub forum and have a look at the suggestions have never been sure of Coconut milk for dishes as when "dieting"also told too high in fat!
thanks