Stuck in a high HBA1C rut

kelp84

I am hoping to get some ideas from people!
I have been diabetic for 20 yr(so should be an expert but I am so far from it :) )

My latest HBa1C was 69 in new money I think about 8.5 in old! I know this is too high and have been working hard to reduce it about 4 years ago it was above 10 so I am going in the right direction!

I just find it all so tough! I'm
Totally useless at keeping diaries although I try often ...

I am on basil/ bolus levemir and novo rapid - I inject 5 times a day I'm just not really sure what to do next? Do you think not keeping a diary will mean I will never be below 8 on my HBA1C?

I worry as my levels have always been a touch on the high side and touch wood I am relatively healthy even after all these years - but I feel like this can't go on like this without some kind of consequences!

I'm losing feeling in my fingers - so don't really wanna do more bloodtests ( I currently test morning night and before meals)

Absolutely any advice would be much appreciated

Kelly :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
its not an easy job, but trying to reduce carbs drastically is wise, for me that would be a 15g CHO yogurt at breakfast, 30g CHO tortilla wrap at lunch, 20g CHO ryvita at night.........

was starving, but blood sugars were really good and with little effort, even in between meals.......

what is your typical day in A CARB sense..........?

do you test between meals.......?

kelp84

So I would norm eat porridge for bf about 30g carbs a sarnie at lunch again 30g and prob about 50 at dinner
I don't tend to test between means unless I am feelin bad! I hate to go low and feel happiest at around 7-9

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so would you say your on target before your meals............?

that day sounds OK, everyone is different so a reduction of carbs may help, like having some meat and salad/steam veg for dinner....

you should try and test between meals from time to time, will give you an indication of what that particular meal is like in terms of digestion, as you can bolus well before eating to keep spikes down, keeping them at 7 -9 is good, but you must be going higher than that or being a bit relaxed at the weekend, like me.....lol............

my last was 8.2%, and that was 6 months on the pump.....

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kelp, I'm afraid a good diary/record really helps to keep good control. Have you read 'Think Like A Pancreas' by Gary Scheiner ? It really helped me. I have porridge every morning and found that it was really spiking my BS after about an hour, so I try and get some exercise in around then to keep it down.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you are trying very hard to do the right things and your diet sounds quite reasonable. How is your weight currently? If you can reduce your carbs still further it might help although perhaps a struggle

johnny37

What is your lifestyle like. Do you get plenty of exercise (eg walk to the shops instead of driving), eat a healthy diet, keep your weight down. No smoking and cut alcohol. Having said that I too found it diffcult to get my hba1c down after 25 yrs a type 1 and 4 years on a pump. Despite what some say there are those of us who struggle to keep their bg at a reasonable level. I still get wide swings, even on the pump. I manage to get a reasonable hba1c by taking many more tests, maybe 10 a day. If I am high I take a top up (1u to 3 pts on the meter). I do get many hypos, 1 a day for the last 30 yrs. Hba1c is 7-7.5. Consultant and I agree that this is as good as it is going to get for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am hoping to get some ideas from people!
I have been diabetic for 20 yr(so should be an expert but I am so far from it :) )

My latest HBa1C was 69 in new money I think about 8.5 in old! I know this is too high and have been working hard to reduce it about 4 years ago it was above 10 so I am going in the right direction!

I just find it all so tough! I'm
Totally useless at keeping diaries although I try often ...

I am on basil/ bolus levemir and novo rapid - I inject 5 times a day I'm just not really sure what to do next? Do you think not keeping a diary will mean I will never be below 8 on my HBA1C?

I worry as my levels have always been a touch on the high side and touch wood I am relatively healthy even after all these years - but I feel like this can't go on like this without some kind of consequences!

I'm losing feeling in my fingers - so don't really wanna do more bloodtests ( I currently test morning night and before meals)

Absolutely any advice would be much appreciated

Kelly :)
Just come on here to ask this exact question. I called the doctors and they said I was 69 so is that 8.5? Fed up iv always been in this range since I was dianogsed 7 years ago argh :)

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I have found over the last few months, I have lost weight, I do not need to lose weight I have been 70 for a few years, . I eat regularly. and cannot understand WHY all this weight loss.. Infact the last week or so each morning I have had bread and homemade jam hoping that I would put some weight back on. I feel like a bean pole
Bg is ok, Never been a heavy person and at 5.7 need to regain some weight. anyone got any suggestions.
It is getting silly that I have to get my clothes taken in. as they just hang on me.
I bought some trousers and they fitted at the time. have not worn them, so as I am going on holiday soon, tried them on, walked across the room, left then behind. Just dropped off. I had the giggles. and could imagine the remarks that would have caused if on holiday.
so need someone who has lost weight and now regaining it back. any ideas.
thank you all T2

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I have only a small amount of carbs, and I mean small. rest is protein. I do cheat but I try very hard to control my carbs, never have sugar in tea or coffee, drink water such a bore. But the Bg say it all. good results.