1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Student DSA grants

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Nometype1andproud, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been advised to apply for the DSA student grant due to having the type 1 diabetes, has anyone been successful in getting this solely from their type 1 diagnosis?

2. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I made an enquiry when I was a student in the 00s and I was told not to bother, but obviously, that was a while ago so things may have changed.

3. Dexta

Dexta Type 1 · Member

I’m an AT (Assistive Technology) Trainer and I’ve been Type 1 myself for over 45 years. I frequently work with students who are Type 1 who have been awarded the DSA grant for the condition alone, or rather the impact it can have on a student eg Inability to concentrate during lectures etc. I strongly recommend that you go for the assessment as the support you can be awarded can make a significant difference to your studies and beyond. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was assessed for both dyslexia & type 1 so not exactly in the same position. But it’s good to have it on file that you need time for medical appointments, that hypos can take you away from your studies & I certainly have a harder time concentrating since diagnosis. It’s a good back up if you even need extra time for an assignment.

It wasn’t applicable whilst working from home but the assessor did say I could apply for taxi reimbursement if I was struggling to travel to classes & dropping low.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook