1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stupidly cheated and now feel awful!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Lovejoy00, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I did the same thing, but with a full fat Fage Greek yogurt, with similar results, and I also found it very sweet, even with the yogurt. I put it down to the yogurt flattening out the spike.

2. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

OK, I am assuming a mince pie is not a pie made of minced beef with a crust. ???

Please enlighten me, someone. (And then I can post about what chess pie is if anyone would like.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mince-pies-news-960x480.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@KK123 I tend to think the same way sometimes but I won't do it. The sugar has to go somewhere and with the insulin as Santa's little helper, it'll be made it to fat for when the lean times come. I'll have a small nibble to say I've shared but that's my lot

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OK ignore the other comments @KK123 we agree, sorry

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

No meat at all. Minced up fruit such as raisins, currants, apple, mixed peel, bit of brandy, and such like. Lots of sugar all inside a pastry cup with pastry top. Very much full of glucose but delicious.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Mince pies used to be spiced meat in a savoury crust - the reduction in cost of sugar, spices, dried fruit, candied peel meant that the meat part was reduced to just the suet. Having tasted a 'real' mince pie, it was very strange, but not at all bad.
    I think some people might have had a problem with discarding the pastry, either from a social angle or just being tempted, or even not wanting to waste food - but it was just before Christmas when my grandmother eventually died from the complications of diabetes, so I have a little extra prompting to do the unusual thing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I don't consider that any of my treats have to be of the high carb variety - and most of mine aren't, so I can enjoy them with (carb free!) impunity. But if I do occasionally take a slight dietary diversion into higher carb regions, it's simply a little piece wilful bl**dy minded foolishness on my part rather than "cheating" or "falling off the wagon" and something I know is best avoided for health reasons, but I certainly don't believe I've caused myself a major dietary disaster by doing so. :eek:

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. mr_cat

mr_cat · Well-Known Member

Out on a Christmas do with friends last night.
    Restaurant was the sort of place that if i eliminated carbs there would not be much left on the menu.
    I guess I could have just eaten a piece of meat and a slice of cheese and waited for the others to finish.
    But to hell with that and dove right in!
    The one thing that blew my mind was.. sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, I never eat sweet so its intensity
    was insane so sweet it was almost like eating chillies.
    After that a pub crawl with ales and whiskies.
    I would have been fascinated to have done some bs tests over the evening but have run out of cassettes for my
    monitor.
    I don't think anyone should beast themselves up for the odd festive binge if their bodies can cope.
    Enjoy your festivities people:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for telling me about mince pies. :) They sound a little like fruitcake which is a Christmas tradition (usually bought rather than home-baked). A friend of mine used to bake Christmas fruit cookies that I think were similar too.

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother, @Resurgam .

Good name, @mr_cat ^. .^

#51 SaskiaKC, Dec 22, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  12. johnme

johnme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

well, in the middle ages (as late as the reign of Queen Elizabeth and for all I know later) they were made with minced beef or lamb plus the other ingredients, citrus peel, suet, some booze, raisins, hence mince pies. Nowadays they are made without the meat

Later edit : Oh dear, I appear to have repeated more or less Resurgam’s info. I must read threads more closely. Sorry all

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #52 johnme, Dec 22, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. mr_cat

mr_cat · Well-Known Member

:)

14. Lovejoy00

Lovejoy00 Type 2 (in remission!) · Active Member

Thanks for your replies (earlier on), I've been fine, except today I had a roulade! 58g/48g (Carbs/Sugar!)

My blood suagar was 9.2, 2 hours later, I will be skipping dessert tomorrow!

• Hug Hug x 1
  15. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You could always have jelly and cream or berries. I make ‘grown up’ sugar free jelly which is 2/3 water and 1/3 wine with berries in it served with cream. For some reason there’s never any left!!

• Like Like x 3
  16. nadiq38

nadiq38 Type 1 · Member

Hi. Hope you feeling better now. Sadly we all do it occasionally. Won't be first time or last, but the so called hangover is a reminder. Big hugs to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dinet

Dinet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hehe yes it is funny. But i think the chosen words are very appropriate coz we are in a "committed relationship" where we voed to be different than before blah blah
    but hey , naughty habits die hard, let's reboot and restart !

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dinet

Dinet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

goodness me!!!! they deliver quite a punch for their little size!!!

19. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

20. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook