Success Story? And A Sincere Thank You!

Geordie86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Lads and Lasses!
Long-time lurker, first time poster!
Thought I'd start off by saying thank you, to all of you. I've been lurking on these forums, reading your posts and threads, since my Type 2 diagnosis in October of last year. I've found a lot of them extremely helpful, if not comforting, whilst I came to terms with my diagnosis and learning how to manage my diabetes.
I was diagnosed almost a year ago to the day after a prolonged period of illness, my doc had me do bloods and my HbA1c came back at 112mmol/mol, to say I was shocked would be a lie... Disappointed, though, I definitely was... In myself more than anything! I've always been a 'big lad', but had active jobs and hobbies which I think probably kept it from tipping point. A few years ago I was diagnosed with M.E/CFS, leading to the active aspects of my life severely declining until they stopped completely. Enter, Covid and lockdowns, and Sedentary I became! Hello, Diabetes!
My doc pointed me to some resources when first diagnosed, one of which was this site and forums. So, I got to reading, and armed with my trusty testing kit and the sage words of people in this community, I began my journey to control my diabetes. I'm most grateful for the threads on Low GI foods, because with my lack of activity due to my condition, switching to a Low GI diet has been the single biggest factor in getting to the point I am at today.
What is that point? Well, not only have I managed to completely change my relationship with food, I have managed to shed almost 4st in weight the last 12 months, AND my last HbA1c in July came in at 42mmol/mol !!! I just had bloods taken again today, and if they confirm the last result, they're taking me off the meds!!! (Metformin 500mg twice daily (Slow release because the normal ones turned my stomach something rotten) and 100mg canagliflozin (Invokana) daily)).
I hope this post isn't coming across as "look at me, aren't I clever? Give me head pats". It's certainly longer than I had anticipated! (Sorry.)
I really just wanted to share my positivity with people who understand, and to thank you for helping a lurker to slay a type 2 dragon! I know my journey isn't over, and I have to maintain this going forward, but [Expletive Deleted] me! Do I feel good right now! Haha!
Anyway, now that I'm out of the shadows and into the open on here, I hope to be able to repay the community here by participating and hopefully helping others who are newly diagnosed!
Thanks again, and hope everyone is having a good evening!
Geordie.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello Lads and Lasses!
Thought I'd start off by saying thank you, to all of you. I've been lurking on these forums, reading your posts and threads, since my Type 2 diagnosis in October of last year. I've found a lot of them extremely helpful, if not comforting, whilst I came to terms with my diagnosis and learning how to manage my diabetes.
I was diagnosed almost a year ago to the day after a prolonged period of illness, my doc had me do bloods and my HbA1c came back at 112mmol/mol, to say I was shocked would be a lie... Disappointed, though, I definitely was... In myself more than anything! I've always been a 'big lad', but had active jobs and hobbies which I think probably kept it from tipping point. A few years ago I was diagnosed with M.E/CFS, leading to the active aspects of my life severely declining until they stopped completely. Enter, Covid and lockdowns, and Sedentary I became! Hello, Diabetes!
My doc pointed me to some resources when first diagnosed, one of which was this site and forums. So, I got to reading, and armed with my trusty testing kit and the sage words of people in this community, I began my journey to control my diabetes. I'm most grateful for the threads on Low GI foods, because with my lack of activity due to my condition, switching to a Low GI diet has been the single biggest factor in getting to the point I am at today.
What is that point? Well, not only have I managed to completely change my relationship with food, I have managed to shed almost 4st in weight the last 12 months, AND my last HbA1c in July came in at 42mmol/mol !!! I just had bloods taken again today, and if they confirm the last result, they're taking me off the meds!!! (Metformin 500mg twice daily (Slow release because the normal ones turned my stomach something rotten) and 100mg canagliflozin (Invokana) daily)).
I hope this post isn't coming across as "look at me, aren't I clever? Give me head pats". It's certainly longer than I had anticipated! (Sorry.)
Just the kind of post we love to see @geordie86 and one time when you SHOULD blow your own trumpet as it's GREAT!!! Well done you and lovely to meet you on here :)

I really just wanted to share my positivity with people who understand, and to thank you for helping a lurker to slay a type 2 dragon! I know my journey isn't over, and I have to maintain this going forward, but [Expletive Deleted] me! Do I feel good right now! Haha!
Anyway, now that I'm out of the shadows and into the open on here, I hope to be able to repay the community here by participating and hopefully helping others who are newly diagnosed!
Geordie.

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Epic win! Bravo Geordie, your hard work and discipline have earned you a much healthier, happier and safer future, what a result. Your post doesn't sound at all "ooh, get me!", I think everyone here enjoys reading success stories so your account is very welcome.

Do please let us know the result of your latest HbA1c when it comes back, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant results, good work, keep it up! Got to love a success story :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Lads and Lasses!
Geordie.
*pat, pat, pat* <-- well deserved!!!!

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't waste your time with all the 'thank you' stuff, just throw money.

(PS Very well done)

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Hello Lads and Lasses!
Geordie.

Hello Lads and Lasses!
Geordie.
Hi Geordie

I'm new to T2, thanks for sharing your positivity, I have found it really encouraging to hear this as I step out at the beginning of my journey. This forum has been brilliant in the few days I've been on it and stories like yours are useful for giving me the impetus to stay positive and keep going. Thanks for sharing and well done to you too.
Eddie :):)

Geordie86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Geordie

I'm new to T2, thanks for sharing your positivity, I have found it really encouraging to hear this as I step out at the beginning of my journey. This forum has been brilliant in the few days I've been on it and stories like yours are useful for giving me the impetus to stay positive and keep going. Thanks for sharing and well done to you too.
Eddie :):)
@Eddie65 Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad my post is able to give some encouragement to others! Good luck on your journey, it might feel daunting to start with but have faith that you will get there. This forum is definitely invaluable, and so were the words my nurse said to me in the beginning... "Strive for progress, not perfection. Make small changes that will stick, not big changes that might set you up for failure." That really stuck with me throughout. Eliminating or trading for a low GI alternative, one food at a time until it stuck. Testing to see what effect different foods have on levels, I found it made me so much more aware and changed my relationship with food entirely. Look forward to your own success story post! :)

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
@Eddie65 Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad my post is able to give some encouragement to others! Good luck on your journey, it might feel daunting to start with but have faith that you will get there. This forum is definitely invaluable, and so were the words my nurse said to me in the beginning... "Strive for progress, not perfection. Make small changes that will stick, not big changes that might set you up for failure." That really stuck with me throughout. Eliminating or trading for a low GI alternative, one food at a time until it stuck. Testing to see what effect different foods have on levels, I found it made me so much more aware and changed my relationship with food entirely. Look forward to your own success story post! :)

Thanks Geordie, lots to take in! Hope to be posting similar to you in time :)

Reactions: Geordie86

Geordie86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: Sorry it's been a little while... Life! Lol. Anyhoo, thanks everyone again for the kinds words and support. Latest HbA1c results are in... *drumroll* ...40mmol/mol!! Couldn't be more pleased! :woot: Going to start methodically coming off the meds, fingers crossed I can keep this up without them! Happy days! Hope everyone is doing well! Cheers :)

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
Hi geordie, I found your post while lurking myself and reading yours along with other success stories gave me the motivation and encouragement to get my numbers down. These are the kind of posts our HCP should be reading and encouraging their patients to adopt a new way of eating to control their diabetes. Once again we'll done and keep up the good work