Success story

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
If you get the opportunity to do the DAFNE course, I highly recommend it. It really helped me through my pregnancy and it paid off. I was induced at 38 weeks (on 1st august) and my daughter Kate was born within a few hours. Her glucose level was monitored for 24 hours and was fine. She's absolutely fine and we were discharged the next day.

I was lucky. My insulin sensitivity is high anyway so as my insulin requirements increased, it was only 3 times as much. I attended the preconception clinic but I'd also worked hard to get my hba1c down from 8.1 to 5.5 before attending the clinic. It has stayed at around 5.8 during the pregnancy. A low I have never before achieved. I think the lowest it had been before that was 6.9 in the 15 years I have had type 1. Even the background retinopathy I had for 2 years running before the pregnancy has gone.

I don't want to go back now, I want to make sure my sugar levels stay within range. I want to look after myself for my daughter's sake.

Good luck to anyone who is pregnant or considering it. Its well worth the effort and only you can do it xx

Reactions: 10 people

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is lovely to read, I have been referred to preconception clinic still awaiting for appointment and been advised to go on an 'expert diabetes course' but the waiting list is too long and the first appointment is in January !!! But would like to start trying before then !! So going to wait for my diabetes preconception appointment and go from there x x

Type1insuliner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow thats fantastic to hear. To get your HbA1c down so low from being 8.1!! Must have been hard work and much dedication. I have managed to get my Hba1c down from 8.7 down to 8.3 in 6 months so I have a way to go. Any advice on how you did it would be so so appreciated, as would love to try for a baby. Thanks Lizzie xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What a great post, congratulations on the birth of your daughter :)