success!!!!!!!!

sue1959

My blood sugars over the past year gradually rose to 12 in the morning. Fed up with this and not wanting my meds to go up I took the bull by the horns 3 weeks ago and gradually eased myself into low carbing.
I have porridge/reddy brek for breakfast, fried egg, sausage etc or ham and salad for lunch and my normal evening meal with a small helping of spuds. I've cut out eating between meals and after my main meal. My blood sugar has come down to 6.9 (never been this low) in the morning and around 5-7 during the day. It took a while to get used to but now I don't even think about eating bread and if i get peckish I have fruit, nuts or an oat cracker.
I've also lost 1stone!!!!! :thumbup:
I tried low carbing before but couldn't get my head round it but I can honestly say try it you never know.

Virgo123

sue1959 said:
My blood sugars over the past year gradually rose to 12 in the morning. Fed up with this and not wanting my meds to go up I took the bull by the horns 3 weeks ago and gradually eased myself into low carbing.
I have porridge/reddy brek for breakfast, fried egg, sausage etc or ham and salad for lunch and my normal evening meal with a small helping of spuds. I've cut out eating between meals and after my main meal. My blood sugar has come down to 6.9 (never been this low) in the morning and around 5-7 during the day. It took a while to get used to but now I don't even think about eating bread and if i get peckish I have fruit, nuts or an oat cracker.
I've also lost 1stone!!!!! :thumbup:
I tried low carbing before but couldn't get my head round it but I can honestly say try it you never know.

Cereals and oats would still spike me. I stick to LC fruit when I have it. I like a little even if all fruits contain carbs/sugar.
You did great. Its difficult at first, I agree. I was resentful, but we dont have much choice if we want to feel better and not lose parts of our ourselves.

toots8298

Thats brilliant news!!!

Im trying low carbing just now most other meals I find that i can cope - its lunch that i dunno what i should have!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rotate lunch between various meals: salads, soups, cold meats with coleslaw/olives/antipesto.

Paul Oak

Low carb is the way to go, even the american health authorities recommend that the diet should have carb down to 30%. However you say porridge for breakfast, which is great, but not readybreak or the instant types, it must be from real oats, as the instants are too heavily processed. You could even try some no carb meals, my lunch now rarely has any carb in it, cutting the carbs in the rest of my meals has vastly improved my control, and at last my weight is dropping! Make sure you get plenty of protein though, helps a lot.

sue1959

Just to say I've now got down to 12st 11 ( I was 14st+ when I first started) down a clothes size, feel brilliant and have taken up salsa dancing. All I need now is to tone up! Have had a couple of slices of toast occasionally but have totally lost my taste for bread. I have crackers instead ( 3 jacobs or cracottes). So definitely give it a go. My goal is 11st (size 16) but I'm happy now as I can buy of the rack as I want rather than buying something when I see it, the women will understand.

MaggieCowell

Hi

Following two fasting blood glucose tests of 10.6 and 11.0 my GP has said she thinks i am glucose intolerant and need to reduce my sugar. I have cut out, at her suggestion, all cakes biscuits sweets and chocolate, although I never did each much of those. I do however eat a lot of carbs so am anxious to try a low carb diet as I feel this could be the cause. I have a question, when I am looking at the carbohydrate content of foods to work out my 100grams a day. Which number am I totalling the carbohydrate of for instance 3.8 grams per cracker or the 0.1gram (of which sugars)

She is re testing in two months so I would like to try low carb to see if I can improve the reading and loose some weight

Many thanks

Mags

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi mags, its the total as sugars are a type of carbohydrates. Not sure why they list both.

Sounds like you are all doing well, congratulations! :)

I'm trying to start Low-Carb, to improve my blood sugars, but I shouldn't be, according to my diabetes 'care team'.
I'm a bit lost, any help would be much appreciated.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do what ever works. Your care team is probably worried that eating more fat will be harmful. Having high sugar levels is far more risky for cardiovascular disease than eating more fat. This has been proven in large-scale clinical trials like DCCT trial. Its disappointing that they are unaware of this. My care team (my GP surgery) is very supportive of low carbing.

Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient because your body is perfectly capable of making glucose all by itself.

If you ask me its better to not eat carbs and avoid blindness, strokes, limb amputation, kidney disease etc. But if you eat carbs and hit your hba1c target, then definitely do that instead.

I hate to go on, but I'm just fed up of the constant tiredness, and general rubbish feeling.
I was told to not worry about highs too much, because they 'wont effect me in the short term'.
Apparently, there's been a study done, showing that spikes don't effect you over time.

Also, that with T1, it isn't effected by diet, so that doesn't matter, because it's all about insulin dosages.
Sigh.

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Constant tiredness is something I've been battling with for years! I have T2. Just on Metforming 1000/day.
I've was keeping a check of my BG levels for about 2 months to try to find out what spikes my BG as everyone keeps saying about this but it doesn't seem to matter what I eat so I've given up testing now.
I get quite jealous when I read on here of people dropping their BG in a week or so! Even on when I ate about 30g carbs a day it had no effect on my BG!
I'm still keeping my carbs low though (<100g/day) and concentrating on losing weight (8.8kg lost so far). Hopefully that will, in time, affect my BG.

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done :clap: I am a new type2 diabetic and so far all of what my Dn as told me don't eat after 7.0'clock. This I feel will not work for me as I work night shifts 5 days a week and my BG is still in the twenties. After reading what every one is saying about low carb I am going to give this a try. I have just bought the book carbs and Cals a visual guide to portion sizes I think this will help in the quest for low BG and weight loss. I have lost so far on weight watchers 1st 4lbs since Christmas. So maybe this low carbs will be better for me.