sudden rush of symptoms

ben_m_g

hopefully someone has had similar experiance and give me a bit of piece of mind.

i will say this first i have been to the GP, but he has done nothing aside from taking blood.
considering some of the recurring problems i am having i would have hoped he had tried something.

ok, for a number years i have been having real lows, when i could i would eat something sugary and be fine.
In more recent years and times when that wasn't possible i have experianced lethargy,weakness, blurred vision, rapid heart beat, clumsyness (to the point of fallling over) and unconciousness (i get my 5 a day and exercise everyday).
these all seem to come at once, but only on odd occastions can be after a meal or without eating for a while...

i currently work on my own, in an empty factory with minimal supervision the idea of being knocked out at one of the machines isn't a very happy thought.

it has me totally confused and my gp seems to be reluctant to do anything elce now...

thankyou

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum.
The advice that you would have been given by most on this forum would be to go and see your doctor - but you have very sensibly already done that. I appreciate that you expected to get some treatment but, having taken a blood sample he will have sent that away to a lab for testing. Until he gets the results of the tests back he won't know exactly what to treat you for. You are obviously concerned that it could be diabetes, or you wouldn't be on this forum! And your symptoms could be symptomatic of diabetes, but also of a number of other things. If your GP was to treat you for what you might have, it could do a huge amount of damage if the problem turns to be something else.

Just be patient and if you haven't heard from the doctor after a few days then check to see if he has the blood test results yet. There's no harm in letting him know that you are anxious to find out what the problem is.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My first reaction is ,go back and see GP and get results of blood tests.We cannot diagnose on here so you really need to question your GP about this and ask for more tests especially given your work circumstances.If you find that eating something sugary helps I would suggest,until you get a diagnosis from your GP,that you automatically carry in your pockets a bottle of Lucozade or fruit juice such as Tropicana,and some glucose tablets which you can buy in the chemists.These at least will stop you passing out on your own but you really much get medical help on finding out what is wrong with you.

Trinkwasser

One thing you can do is this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

you can buy a meter at your local pharmacy with a small quantity of strips included.

Try testing before you eat then 1/2 hour, 1, 2 and 3 hours after.

It SOUNDS from what you describe that you MAY be suffering from Reactive Hypoglycemia, which is sort of an early form of diabetes: you lose your first phase insulin so your BG jumps up after eating, then your pancreas notices and dumps a load of second phase insulin - then fails to stop, so your BG goes down below normal.

This can be an absolute ******* to get diagnosed if (like me) your fasting BG is normal and two hours after eating it's also back to normal again, you need to look at the 1 hour and 3 hour numbers to see what's really happening. A Glucose Tolerance Test should show it if you can get one.

The "treatment" is exactly the same as "real" diabetes, reduce the carbs so you no longer spike high after eating, which will also knock out the lows.

The alternative is to keep on until after several years you have actually disintegrated so far that they actually diagnose you with diabetes.

This is NOT a diagnosis, just a suggestion of a test that can be done easily and which may provide you and your doctor with useful information.

ben_m_g

hi and thanks to all that replied,

my result came back with no abnormallities, but as i was feeling fine after the fasting i think that this could have been ineffective if my symtoms weren't monitored during the lows.

i think i will invest in a meter as suggested, at least i can see if my levels are concurring with the times i'm feeling bad.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hya Ben,
glad to see your results came back ok
take care :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Feeling fine after fasting is a symptom. Most poeple would be hungry. I'm not sure what it is a symptom of.

ben_m_g

hanadr said:
Feeling fine after fasting is a symptom. Most poeple would be hungry. I'm not sure what it is a symptom of.

never thought this as a symtom, i can quite often forget to eat and/or miss meals..
i do sometimes feel feignt before i'm hungry, but i wouldn't of thought that this was related.. unless someone knows more?