suffering from faint pulse in the feet and fired from the surgery too

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. Very new here. Just second post can anyone tell me what does it means that i have faint pulse at the front part of both feet. My feet are very cold all the time even with two socks it doesnt help.
Kindly anyone can help me with this and also as i been visiting the gp quite a bit past few months he told me to change the surgery as all of sudden i am not in the catchment area..... Help mee

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi there. Very new here. Just second post can anyone tell me what does it means that i have faint pulse at the front part of both feet. My feet are very cold all the time even with two socks it doesnt help.
Kindly anyone can help me with this and also as i been visiting the gp quite a bit past few months he told me to change the surgery as all of sudden i am not in the catchment area..... Help mee

Hi, you can search NHS choices www.NHS.UK to find your nearest GP, but note the distance shown is as the crow flies. The new practice will probably want to see you when you register so you can have your feet checked at that point? When you wear 2 pairs of socks have you still room to move your toes? I would probably get this sorted as soon as possible just to put your mind at rest. x

Reactions: Freema and dawnmc

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone helping. I have a lesion on middle toe of right foot and couple of abcesses in both armpits. The lesion was given wrong diagnosis which started infection and given 2 courses of antibiotics. It made my tummy upset and so much pain. I had to take 2 grams of antibiotics. The pain was unbearable because it was at the tip of the toe. Then another GP diagnosed it as verrucae. I was given some acidic ointment which damaged all my good skin. It became so soft and more painful. Then i was told that there is process which is called freezing. I went through that but again it was diagnosed as injury due to intense cold and i had to visit podiatrist. I went there and she told me that it was verrucae and being diabetic they must have not taken risk but refer me to the dermatologist long time ago. Its been 2 months. I cant explain the level of pain how much pain it is and i am very worried now. The podiatrist told me that there is faint pulse at the front of the feet so quick action must be taken in this regard and it can cause too many complications.
I just need to know if i am bring sent away because they have been treating me wrong or am i bring a liability?

Reactions: Freema

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out http://www.diabetes.co.uk/foot-care/foot-symptoms.html

There are some serious complications of high blood sugar for feet. It can cause nerve damage leading to lack of sensation known as neuropathy. Poor circulation and slow healing are other issues.

You need to know what your blood sugar levels are. So get a blood glucose meter if you haven't got one. Medications can help to reduce you blood sugar levels a little, but to get it down to normal levels you need to change your diet. This means cutting out sugar and carbohydrates in your diet, e.g. Cut back on breakfast cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta and stop drinking fruit juice.

Your blood glucose meter will show you which foods spike your blood sugars.

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I just had my ha1c done is around 43

I been told it's very well. The concern is getting serious what is causing it and will it even get better ever

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are something called raynauld's socks, gloves and other far infrared stuff that can be bought and some podiatrists use tens therapies for the neuropathy on top of that. There are special kinds of neuropoligists who deal with both Raynauds (the cold extremities) and the neuropathies.
Thanks. I will give it a try hopefully it helps. Its getting really bad every passing day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would give your old doctor's surgery a ring and ask them for clarification.

You may be outside the catchment area, but until you find another surgery, get registered, and see a doctor there, you are still under the care of your old surgery. The transfer, including finding a new surgery and getting registered can take months, and during that time your feet will need medical care.

If you ring the surgery and ask the receptionist, she will probably confirm that you can continue to see your old doc, or can suggest another alternative.

Well worth a phone call to find out! :)

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would give your old doctor's surgery a ring and ask them for clarification.

You may be outside the catchment area, but until you find another surgery, get registered, and see a doctor there, you are still under the care of your old surgery. The transfer, including finding a new surgery and getting registered can take months, and during that time your feet will need medical care.

If you ring the surgery and ask the receptionist, she will probably confirm that you can continue to see your old doc, or can suggest another alternative.

Well worth a phone call to find out! :)
Thanks a lot i really appreciate your help. I am very upset since been told about it.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
There are something called raynauld's socks, gloves and other far infrared stuff that can be bought and some podiatrists use tens therapies for the neuropathy on top of that. There are special kinds of neurologists who deal with both Raynauds (the cold extremities) and the neuropathies.
Hi, I suffered from Raynaud's disease in the hands when I was first diagnosed with T2. It's very strange to see your hands turn white and go numb, shouldn't happen too much in the warmer weather though. My main neuropathy problem has been numbness, tingling and pain in the feet, particularly when trying to sleep. That's mainly gone now I have got into the non-diabetic range with LCHF.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
did you try a tens machine to zap the nerves back in consciousness?

To be honest, I'd be a bit concerned about slapping some TENS pads on anywhere I had lost sensation/impaired functionality, without professional instruction on their placement. Having used a TENS machine (not for the reason being discussed here), if I put the pads in the wrong place, it made things worse, not better.

@nayyarsheikh - Please be careful with your feet, and seek professional advice.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
did you try a tens machine to zap the nerves back in consciousness?
Thank you @Contralto I hadn't heard of a TENS machine until your post, so I looked it up. I can see how it might work, but thank goodness I don't have a neuropathy problem now. I believe they used to do this sort of thing with dead frog's legs back in General Science days.

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks everyone for sharing. There has been one more issue all of sudden i started to get hypos whereas I was going fine. I am on 2000 mg of metformin and the dr keeps on saying that metformin doesnt let you get hypos. If that is not getting me hypos in other words it means that metformin keep the blood sugar levels high.. Its been 4 times in last 8 days all of sudden my sugar level drops to 4 or less. Thew numbness has increased in feet has increased. I am trying to get an appointment of dermatologist but they just gave me photographic appointment which i didnt understand.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
thanks everyone for sharing. There has been one more issue all of sudden i started to get hypos whereas I was going fine. I am on 2000 mg of metformin and the dr keeps on saying that metformin doesnt let you get hypos. If that is not getting me hypos in other words it means that metformin keep the blood sugar levels high.. Its been 4 times in last 8 days all of sudden my sugar level drops to 4 or less. Thew numbness has increased in feet has increased. I am trying to get an appointment of dermatologist but they just gave me photographic appointment which i didnt understand.
Would you consider using a supplement called lipioc acid for nerve damage in your feet?
Have a search here and ask users any questions?
Hope GP still supporting you? Any signs of a new gp?

nayyarsheikh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would you consider using a supplement called lipioc acid for nerve damage in your feet?
Have a search here and ask users any questions?
Hope GP still supporting you? Any signs of a new gp?
I visited couple of gp but they barely let you talk to the actual gp u have to take a shot in the dark. I have requested to let me meet the gp as you cant simply just get registered anywhere. I have seen reviews on the nhs website. The patinets number is 6000 plus which is so much. there is waiting time of 10 days for appointment which is unreal. I dont know what is happening. Its becoming really difficult. The stress levels get too high at times which makes me depressed. I am feeling really lost.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I visited couple of gp but they barely let you talk to the actual gp u have to take a shot in the dark. I have requested to let me meet the gp as you cant simply just get registered anywhere. I have seen reviews on the nhs website. The patinets number is 6000 plus which is so much. there is waiting time of 10 days for appointment which is unreal. I dont know what is happening. Its becoming really difficult. The stress levels get too high at times which makes me depressed. I am feeling really lost.
Obviously a large practice can offer you more services, lesshospital visits maybe? Mine is a small practice but very friendly. No practice can do everything hun. You could give a smaller practice a try and if not for you change to a bigger one/health centre?
I too prefer a smaller practice as I can get an appointment, when I need one. However if your area only has big ones, make it familiar to you and get to know YOUR new GP as you will be allocated one. I find the more complex your health depends who you get. Which is reassuring.
You will soon wonder why you worried. They don't bite. ;)
They just want the same as you. Good health. :)

SimonCrox

Sounds like several problems and your podiatrist seems very sensible.
1: Faint pulse in feet; it is actually difficult to feel the pulse at times even if it is fine; if one is really worried about the foot blood supply, one would do a doppler scan, but if this was required, I think your podiatrist would have mentionned it.
2: Cold feet - some folk just do have cold feet, some have a poor blood supply; but beta blocker drugs such as bisoprolol, atenolol etc also cause cold feet; if you had Raynaud's phenomenon, you would find your hands changing as described above.
3: Lesion on toe which is slow to heal and may be verucca - I am sure that the dermatology opinion is invaluable. I would ask the GP what has happenned - referrals do get lost in the system. Point out that you have neuropathy numb feet and weak pulses in feet, ie at risk feet, to get them going - since you are concerned about your feet, problems would probably be addressed and controlled.
4: Pain - again, did the podiatrist think that the toe lesion was enough to cause this pain? Did they find any evidence of neuropathy?it sounds very severe: when do you get it and what does it feel like?
5: That is a brilliant HbA1c - congrats. Yes, as folk say, unlikely to go hypo on metformin monotherapy; non-diabetic people when well can get a 4-ish on their blood tests. The meters might not be totally accurate in the low range; you might feel poorly, but you are not going to black out or come to harm from low glucose values on metformin. Also, if very cold hands with sluggish circulation, the fingerprick blood sample might have a falsely low glucose value. Other agents which folk might take can drop the glucose values and these include quinine, tramadol and the ciprofloxacin group of antibiotics, and also decent dose alcohol. How do youo feel when get lowish values?
6: Numb feet with good glucose control on metformin; you need to also get your vitamin B12 (lowered by metformin), vitamin D, and thyroid function (underactive thyroid can give neuropathy and cold feeling) tested - sorry - this means seeing a doctor which is causing you problems at moment.
7; The abcesses are unpleasant, but if glucose control is OK, probably just bad luck; sorry.
8: I trust that you don't smoke cigrettes - sorry - stupid question, but one of the most useful things to do to look after your blood vessels.
9: Sounds really difficult to find GP; most of time they do not mind if someone a bit out of area, but they are under a lot of pressure - they are expected to do more and more of the work of hospitals, patients are often more complex than in the past and resources are being reduced. This is no excuse for not giving you the healthcare required, and GPs would always try their best. See http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ss-nhs-crisis-funding-part-time-a7727706.html The replies above are very helpful - I guess that you have to use your present GP and assure him that you are looking for a closer GP, but none available at present. Some GPs state an interest in diabetes, but not very common.
Best wishes

Last edited: