Sugar cravings - what do you eat?

Dannii

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just wandering what everyone has to eat when they get really bad sugar cravings?
Im used to eating soooo much chocolate that it proberly made up to 30%+ of my diet n thats not including cakes n sweets which i quite like aswell. So to completely cut back on sugar is hard for me.
I have been good for the past 2 weeks as all ive had is a mini chocolate swiss roll & a breakaway.

I'm on a low sugar diet with no medication and at the moment im eating muller light fruit yoghurts (3 or 4 at a time) or a couple bowls of weetaflakes cereal or fruit everytime i get sugar cravings but i feel like i need to eat these in large quantites to keep my cravings at bay. I need something that is low in sugar but still sweet enough to fulfill my sugar cravings lol. Are the diabetic chocolates really not any good? because ive read that they should be avoided really.

Dannii

chocoholic

The diabetic chocolates aren't great because a lot of them can have a laxative effect if you eat too many. Also I don't think they are much more beneficial for your blood sugar levels.
I think those who know more than me about low-carbing would suggest eating so many Muller yogurts or cereal is not a good idea either.There are lots of other threads about cutting down on your carb. intake on the forum, so I won't get into that here but I think you'll find the more carbs. you eat, the more your body will crave them.

As you can tell from my username, I used to be pretty fond of chocolate myself.If you get a real craving, try switching to one or two squares of dark chocolate with 70% cocoa solids or a higher percentage if you like the taste. I don't like any higher than 70%, as it tastes bitter to me.
As you change your diet to suit you, according to what you read and decide on, you will find that sweet stuff actually does not seem so appealing but at the stage your'e at, I know just how hard it seems to have give it all up.

Once you have a test kit, you will able to see what different foods do to your blood sugar levels and it will be a bit of an eye opener. It was for me too but you'll adjust. It just takes time.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't have sweet stuff often, I hate that low sugar jelly, tastes of Aspartame. I do like the low sugar Belgian chocolate sold in Waitrose "Free From" range. It's not low carb, but quite palatable. A small bit won't do any harm. Otherwise I like dried fruit or fresh berries. i could get addicted to blueberries if i could afford it. should i become a bandit and claim, if caught, that I'm an addict who has an illness and can't help it? The Sweet 'n Low boiled sweets are quite good.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I eat nuts if I get cravings.That and a small amount of dried fruit.

Nemo

Nuts and dried fruit send my sugars high really quick. I find it fascinating how something that works for one can have a dramatically different effect on the next person.

ally5555

you can make sugar free jelly with gelatin and sugar free squash - it tastes better than the bought stuff!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
ally5555 said:
you can make sugar free jelly with gelatin and sugar free squash - it tastes better than the bought stuff!

If you have a craving & you're in a hurry, use Vegegel. It sets on cooling.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Danni,
Thanks to Fergus I'm having macadamia nuts from Sainsburys 60g pack less than 3g carbs, but beware I find them very addictive once opened I can't leave alone.

Graham

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi

I would advise against the diabetic range of chocs, I only ate 3 and had an adverse reaction :oops: !! They made me high too which I thought was odd as they said on the packet to ignore the polyols and just count net carbs..evidently not in my case

I usually have a sugar free jelly with a little squirty cream..love this or two squares of dark mint lindt choc

Poppy123

I found that if I realised beforehand that I was likely to be going to cheat, I made myself drink two glasses of water first. Sometimes, after that, I really don't feel like cheating anymore, it just doesn't seem worth it, especially if your tummy is going plop, plop, plop as you move around, lol